cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling not available was (Wifi calling is now available )

FIXED
Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Wifi calling is now available

ID Mobile (leveraging the 3 network) now offers 5G, wifi calling and VoLTE.

Things are getting really competitive, even on pay monthly/SIMO tariffs. Great for customers!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for flagging @Sebtomato 

I can confirm we don't offer WiFi calling on our network, so I've raised this to a colleague from our affiliate marketing team. 

Really sorry for the disappointment we've caused here. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sebtomato
Rising Star

@Gandalf, Any plans to offer wifi calling soon? The feature has been enabled on the network (people seeing the option), so clearly not just some marketing "glitch" on Quidco.

enlliserve
Grafter

So PlusNet is now behind most other EE MNVO's.
Going to need to pull their socks up as EE want as much traffic off 3G as possible before shut down.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Sebtomato wrote:
@Gandalf, Any plans to offer wifi calling soon? The feature has been enabled on the network (people seeing the option), so clearly not just some marketing "glitch" on Quidco.

I've always seen this option on my iPhone ever since I got a Plusnet Mobile SIM in 2016. I'm afraid I've no plans to share if or when we'll bring out WiFi calling but as always when I know more I can tell, I'll be sure to say so on our forums. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I will seconded that as Wifi Calling has always been set to on on my iPhone SE2020 but has never worked. Would have been handy last week if it did work when my local mast was off air.

Sebtomato
Rising Star

I am still a bit puzzled on why the Plusnet marketing team would even have wording for plusnet wifi calling if the feature is not ready to launch any time soon.

Wording still on Quidco right now, and has been there for four days...
yorkshirekev
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf

In November 2020, Transatel, who provide your access to EE, issued a press release stating that they were migrating all EE MVNOs to a new platform, expected to conclude by August 2021, which would provide all MVNOs access to advanced services including WiFi Calling and VoLTE. This was originally conveyed to me by one of your peers, another EE MVNO, but unfortunately the PR has since been deleted - however, other MVNOs have indeed moved over.

Please could you confirm if you have been migrated to Transatel’s enhanced platform, or what the lead time is for completing the migration?

If you have been migrated, when will Plusnet pass on these essential services? If the functionality is there, it’s no longer reasonable to claim to be “cheap & cheerful”, when other MVNOs can provide enhanced services at a similar price point. I’m one of the very earliest adopters of Plusnet data services, from the late 90s, and back then you strived to be great, but now it seems the business target is “mediocre”.

Apologies, this isn’t targeted at you personally, and you may not be the right person to answer, but you appear to be a senior representative and gone are the days when Support were easily accessible by raising an online ticket. I’d be grateful if you could pass these comments on if necessary.

Every day I struggle to stay with Plusnet, though there are specific features from the 90s that keep me going. Technically, Plusnet is dragging its heels, and my only assumption is that it’s to protect “Big BT” / EE, which would be a sad state if the services are available to be deployed without additional provider cost.

I would even be willing to pay extra for the “value added” service. You charge for other features, none of which are meaningful to me.
yorkshirekev
Dabbler

@RichardB this (message 15) looks to relate to the comment I’ve just made to @Gandalf (reply 23) re a press release from Transatel last November.

If PN have been migrated, I think we as customers are suffering a disservice by not providing the functionality with which they have been provided
Sebtomato
Rising Star

Quidco still mentioning wifi calling now... it's either coming soon or someone will get in trouble for misleading new customers for 6 days+
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@yorkshirekev,
Another ISP review article on the same subject:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/11/bt-and-transatel-deal-means-5g-mobile-upgrade-for-uk-m...
I have moved my second SIM to Plusnet and can confirm no WiFi calling and no VOLTE.
My phone is often reporting Emergency Calls only.
As both are available to Transatel MVNOs I think we must conclude that it is a business descision on the part of BT Consumer preventing Plusnet Mobile offering these features.
I will have to transfer to a different mobile provider as soon as my 30 day contract expires.
Richard
yorkshirekev
Dabbler

@RichardB thanks. I think you’re right, which is why I’d appreciate @Gandalf confirming if the migration has been completed. However I know there’s a Major Service Outage on at the moment so we shouldn’t expect a response until tomorrow.

But as for BT, I’ve a lot of experience there and their structure doesn’t help, but fundamentally there’s no way I’d opt for BT Mobile to get the service I need; I’d rather go to O2. Or they could have my business via Plusnet, but they don’t always see the obvious benefits and would rather lose you than service you on your terms. We’re none of us ever going to be big enough to be important to Big BT - it’s whether Plusnet are allowed to set their own services.
blanik

Just switched from Sky ( running on O2 with VOLTE and WIFI calling ) and discovered no VOLTE or WIFI calling on Plusnet. I should have read this forum first!

My Samsung S8 allows me to turn on the wifi calling button - but I get no icon, in aeroplane mode with only WIFI on incoming calls go to voicemail and if I try to make an outgoing call - the phone prompts to turn of aeroplane mode - so definitely not working.

I can also turn on the VOLTE setting, but no icon ( which Sky used to show ), so suspect that is not working either.

I should have read this forum first!

Plusnet default APN configuration also would only work with 3g, I had to set up another config to get 4g working!

Only joined for a bit more data, and a 12 month contract guaranteeing EU roaming, but won't be porting the rest of the family over yet.

johnnywasp

Just switched from Vodafone (contract customer for 8 years) as I was disappointed at only getting 7mbps download speeds on Vodafone 4G for the money they were charging. Was delighted when I switched to Plusnet and got 4G+ in my area and 60-70mbps speeds. 

To throw my twopenneth in, I have a Galaxy A70 and it has the capacity to make Wi-Fi calls and VoLTE calls. I've been able to make Wi-Fi calls succesfully, however when making network phonecalls the 4G+ automatically drops to 3G or H+ despite having the VoLTE switched on in the settings. Disappointed, but the call quality has been ok so I'm willing to be patient and hope they roll out VoLTE by early 2022. 

tharweb
Hooked

So it's this in aeroplane mode with wi-fi on?