DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Wifi call on Plusnet Mobile ?

@Strat wrote:

@KeanosMagicHat wrote:
@Strat

I might be misunderstanding your comment

I was simply quoting EE Terms and Conditions. I also had it confirmed in-store.

If you've had it working then EE has it wrong (not an impossibility) Smiley

They are.

WiFi calling (and VoLTE) works on iPhones out the box regardless of where it was bought, Android however is a bit of a mess when it comes to supporting WiFi calling and VoLTE.

Some manufacturers such as Huawei/Honor are shipping phones with universal f/w that works out the box like iPhones whereas others use network specific/custom f/w.

The problem with EE though is regardless of whether your phone supports it or not, EE seem to view WiFi Calling/VoLTE/access to 800mHz as premium features they are keeping to themselves.

So if you're with an MVNO such as Plusnet you're SOL.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@KeanosMagicHat and @Strat

It also states in the help link above:

The following devices bought from other retailers should support WiFi Calling (please check when buying a phone from a non-EE retailer whether or not it supports WiFi Calling, as we cannot guarantee phones purchased from third parties will support the feature): list of phones follows

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

mgillespie1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

It's not Android that's a bit of a mess, it's the networks messing with things and creating fake differentiators. There is absolutely no reason a simple free network agnostic Google pixel 2 shouldn't and can't support WiFi calling, other than it's a phone than it's not had the £300 apple tax applied....
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I just now followed the guide for enabling it on my Samsung S6 and confirmed the setting is not available on my phone.

Carphonewarehouse, where I bought the phone, told me at the time of purchase that the feature was only available to phones with the EE custom firmware.

That was a while ago and I guess things change over time.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav

I purchased my Galaxy A5 (2017) as an EE upgrade from Carphonewarehouse last September and Wifi Calling worked as soon as I set it up.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

mgillespie1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Doesn't this therefore suggest that wifi calling only works on EE network with phones sold by and specifiically modified by EE?  Like they have intentionally excluded sim-free phones?

Would suprise me, EE were always pretty dodgy business-wise when I used to be with them.

Whatever the reason, it sounds like EE are treating this as a premium feature available to people spending £50 a month on a premium EE branded phone, and keen to not have it available to those paying a fiver (or even a tenner) a month...

Mav

@mgillespie1 wrote:

Doesn't this therefore suggest that wifi calling only works on EE network with phones sold by and specifiically modified by EE?  Like they have intentionally excluded sim-free phones?

No. See post #77.

slimgym
Dabbler

Indeed, our family have two iPhone 5Cs and an SE all of which are sim-free and not bought through EE. All work with EE WiFi calling on both pay as you go and SIM-only contracts. It appears EE only allow WiFi calling with direct customers, not through MVNO's. You could argue the same point that Plusnet may be part of BT but you don't get BT WiFi unless you sign up with BT. They are keeping the goodies to those who wish to pay more and we are kind-of on the value tariff.

I too would switch to Plusnet mobile if they offered it, but until they do I need the Wifi Calling so can't make the switch.

loony
Grafter

I was about to switch to plusnet mobile but since this does not appear to support wifi calling and sms I am going direct to EE.