Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi call on Plusnet Mobile ?

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Wifi call on Plusnet Mobile ?

You can also make VOIP calls over Plusnet/EE mobile data network (SIP isn't blocked).

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@RJM

That's just how we view it.

Plusnet provides us with the service we want at a fair price.

Sl63

Signed up thinking it's EE so would get wifi calling which is a big disappointment as there's no signal in my house. One or two bars if you go upstairs. Is there an alternative I can use?  Don't want to go through the hassle of porting my number again. 

shaunfriend
Dabbler

Really disappointed that I didn't think to check this before porting my number across. Having regularly used WIFI calling on my EE work handset this was probably the only reason for moving my personal handset to plusnet mobile.

Any chance we can add this to the list of really important thing to get working asap?
abreadmore

I am an EE user for mobile and Plusnet for fibre broadband.  I have been researching transferring to Plusnet for all mobile however I live in Somerset and we have no home signal on EE and therefore rely on EEWifi calling for both our mobile phones.  Not having this with Plusnet means I can't consider changing unfortunately - sadly it's definitely a deal breaker for me.  Please add this option and roaming bundles too - I would gladly pay a little more for them.

dmontyth

Just received my PlusNet SIM today......  I was looking forward to switching to this until I read this thread...

Ok - This is really annoying that the WIFI calling isn't a feature we can use.  I'm currently on the 3 Network ( paygo ) & I need to use their app to make/receive calls @ home.  If the PlusNet card can't use a feature like that,  then I'm not porting my number over and canceling my contract..

dmontyth

Mobile contract now closed due to no WiFi calling,  poor Data connection ( GPRS at home and work )..  I'm sticking with 3 Mobile as that is cheap and works fine + allows WiFi calling through their app.

ad47uk
Grafter

While it would be useful, it makes no difference to me, my phone do not support it for a start, too old, it do not even have 4G. the two places where I can not get a decent EE signal is not a problem, because i can not get any decent signal there from any network.  The price difference between plusnet and vodafone makes the change over worthwhile.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

With the lack of wifi calling there is a work around and I’ve found to be very reliable. This you can make outgoing calls anytime but incoming you will need to let the caller know your local number.

This is for Android only because I don’t think there is an app for iOS or Windows phone but maybe I’m wrong.

Go to Sipgate.co.uk from your PC and get yourself a free account and UK local landline number. You can choose a number access code for most parts of the UK. There are no monthly charges for this number like some other sip providers.

Now you have a VOIP phone number from Sipgate go to the Play store and download an app called “CSipSimple”. In this app lookup under sip providers (use the World or search all because Sipgate UK does not show up if you do a UK only searchCrazy) and choose ‘SipgateUK’.

To set up CSipSimple you need to go back to your Sipgate account and look up the left-hand side of the menu there for “Phones” and click on this brings up another page and at the bottom there you will see your Sipgate ID and Password but note these are not the same as those you used to open the Sipgate account.

After putting those details into the CSipSimple app it should now be showing your account as ‘Active’.

You will need to go deeper into CSip settings to give the app permission to make calls over Wifi, 3G, 4G etc, etc.

You can pay for calls via Sipgate on a PAYG basis at about just over a penny a minute to UK landlines and a lot of overseas number for not much more with UK mobile numbers costing around 9p per minute.

Calls can be made and received on your mobile anywhere in the World as long as you have an internet connection be it Wifi or mobile. What’s more your local UK number can be called by anyone in the UK at their local call rates to you anywhere in the World and for you its free incoming bearing in mind the data use which is about 1 Mb per minute while in use a few Kb and hour while idol on the network.

Sounds complicated but it’s simple enough and once done you can dial and receive calls from your mobile to or from any number in the world over wifi or mobile data links and receiving cost 0p per minute anywhere just like a landline at home.

ad47uk
Grafter

Not a bad idea that, I already use sipgate as I have a VoIP phone at home. the reason I got one was because my last broadband provider was wireless, so I got  VoIP to get a home number and now I keep it because everyone knows it.

I will try your idea.

Thanks

ad47uk
Grafter

Done it, seems to work fine, thanks for that, i only want it just in case my Dad is unwell and i am at my mates place, I can not get a signal there. My brother normally calls my home phone anyway. 

thanks for that

joe_sg

Hi, I have just received my new Plusnet sim card this week, I was told on the phone that wifi calling was supported but then on a chat with Plusnet they said no. 

I have an iPhone 6 that I bought from Car Phone Warehouse over a year ago.

Popped the Plusnet sim in and activated it > went to Settings > Phone > wifi calling and it activated.

When i bought my iPhone I was told by CPW that only iPhones could user WifI calling when they're not bought directly from EE. For all other phones (Android, Windows etc) EE put a special firmware on that enables WiFi calling. 

My point is - if you have an unlocked iPhone your phone will work with WiFi calling - other than that it's not Plusnet's fault it won't work.

shaunfriend
Dabbler

"Popped the Plusnet sim in and activated it > went to Settings > Phone > wifi calling and it activated."

Fairly sure this isn't the case, I have two phones, both bought directly from Apple. One on EE and the other on Plusnet. Wifi calling works only on the EE sim even though it is shown as turned on and activated on both.

Unless you get the word "WifiCalling" near your signal strength meter it isn't working.

wificalling.png

bin
Aspiring Pro

Right about the EE firmware for wifi calling.

I can see that EE would not want to lose out on direct custom by allowing re-sellers the advantage of a cheaper alternative offering WITH Wifi calling. Proprietary firmware is the perfect lockout/lock-in solution.

My guess is that it just depends on how much pain PN are prepared to take from EE (read licensing costs) to provide an app that puts PN in direct competition with EE.

The same situation exists with O2 and Tescomobile. O2 have an app, Tesco don't.

Happy to be proved wrong in the future, but we're flying Easyjet here folks, not Etihad.

watsonm
Grafter

Agree with Shaun here. It may be activated but I doubt it will work.

I purchased a phone  that does WIFI calling from the EE store which was on the EE network.  However I was on PAYG which doesn't allow  wifi calling.  Then migrated to Plusnet (monthly contract)  as I got the mates rates deal and it still shows WIFI calling activated but doesn't work.

Mike

(work around implemented using the sipgate route as described earlier...)

Plusnet Fibre 80/20 Netgear R7000 and Netgear DM200
Plusnet customer since 2002
Plusnet Mobile since 2017