Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling - Time for same features as rest of BT

FIXED
MichaelL
Dabbler

Re: WiFi Calling - Time for same features as rest of BT

I don't know what GID1 locking means. I did not understand the explanation. My handset was not bought from a mobile company but I suspect you mean some other type of lock. 

I have no intention of moving to EE. They are much more expensive than Three and I believe their customer service isn't as good.

The Three service has so far been fine though I may go on to find there are coverage limitations when I am travelling around in the sticks.

I'll be bound by a 12 month contract by then - when my cooling off period has expired.

MarcosSR

Hi SarahStewart,

I am in a similar situation to MichaelL. So I'm offering some further feedback...

The area I live (only 4 miles outside one of the bigger cities in the UK) has rubbish signal from all suppliers.  I tried them all and no difference between 3 options. Voda, 02 and EE.  I had Voda with a Sure signal device previously with work.  Sure device was Ok but they burn out and not without 'hassle'.  I selected Plusnet due to a combination of their better service support, 'Which' recomendations and personal feedback.  Vodafone just proved unhelpful. However i am disappointed that the EE signal, which is supposed to be the best for my home, according to signal maps and signal app I downloaded, is not performing reliably to give me confidence to remain with Plusnet.  I like everything else with the service and National coverage etc.  So Like MichaelL I just want to have better quality calls at home.  Happy to have an EE version of signal booster or WiFi calling.  That would enable me to keep with Plusnet.  Baring in mind I would then change to Plusnet BB when current BB is out of contract. So I do also consider that it is NOT a 'premium' requirement to have a mobile package that is stated as 'fully satisfactory' inside the dwelling, when it is not in practice.  If there is a way to actually provide the mobile service as contacted (not calls dropping out with 'Dalek voices' calling me) I consider that to be a basic requirement.

Christop

I am a new PN customer and found coverage in my house very poor. I think I am right in saying that ID mobile does offer WiFi calling, so I am moving to them. 

Ivan2

I am also a new member and a first time user of a mobile.
I chose Plusnet because I used to be a broadband member until I had to go to BT to get the fibre speed.
I cannot get a signal in my own home because it is very old with very thick walls.
I appreciate that the contracts are very reasonably priced but did not expect to have this problem.
However, I do need my phone to operate at home so would be quite happy to pay an extra charge for this service in the form of say a bolt on.
Can anybody tell me if this problem is being looked at and if it will be fixed shortly

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

As a workaround to lack of direct support for plusnet WiFi calling, I would suggest using a messaging app like WhatsApp, fb messenger or Skype.
In my experience these apps are more robust than the WiFi calling products provided by mobile operators.
HTH
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
MarcosSR

Hi Protech,

Interesting that you consider wifi apps better quality than wifi calling.  Makes me think why don't PN have an app for that?Huh

But the apps don't help for incoming calls from business type calls... or people not 'familiar' with the app options..

I use the mentioned app options for certain circumstances/contacts, but it's not a solution for the poor mobile signal and incoming calls. I'm in a large village, less than 4 miles distance from 40th biggest city in the UK.  Might have to stand on stepladders in the garden to keep a call going securely... Its 2018 not 1999..

Pseudomax

I am another user with poor EE coverage and expected WiFi calling from Plusnet ... if the staff can't comment on when this feature is due to be active then I too will be looking for a new home ...

wholepict

Aaargh. 

I've just switched (today)  from EE to PlusNet. Thinking that as they're on the same network the service would be the same. Living in a stone cottage with weak signal outside WifiCalling is essential for us to receive or make calls in the house.

What's the cooling off period for switching back on SimOnly Deals?

MichaelL
Dabbler

If it doesn't work then it's no good to you. I would hope they accept that if you are outside the cooling off period. I moved to Three because they could offer wifi calling. I would have otherwise stayed with Plusnet

mickodonnell

I upgraded my old Wileyfox Storm to a nice spanking brand new OnePlus 6 with WifI Calling activated, recently. Thumbs_Up

My broadband is FTTC with PN and I chose EE as my Mobile SP when I migrated from VF. I have had a EE signal booster for some time, as both VF and EE do not provide signal dominance indoors. I have just upgraded my Wife's phone from an old Sony Xperia ZR to a nice spanking brand new OnePlus 6 which is using PN. UNFORTUNATELY, she can't use WiFi calling, Sad but I can. Grin We can both use the signal booster, Grin which is fine at home. BUT where there is ropey coverage but wifi is provided, I get the use of my phone, Grinshe doesn't. Angry

By the way, EE signal boosters don't need pre registration of phone for them to accept a connection. VF's offering did/does need pre registered phones before it will accept a connection from them, which to me, is a pretty stupid idea these days. At least with the EE signal booster, anyone with a  EE/PN phone in my house has the pleasure of a full and stable connection without rigmarole.

daibell1

EE certainly doesn't have the widest coverage. Have a look at Ofcom's coverage checker and compare EE with O2 or Vodafone in Hertfordshire. There is a vast difference which makes EE or PlusNet Mobile out of the question for me

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

@wholepict wrote:

What's the cooling off period for switching back on SimOnly Deals?

Since it's a monthly contract, worse case is just a month even if you're outside the cooling off period (which I believe starts from time of order, not time service starts, can someone confirm?)

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

By the way, why's this marked as "Fixed" when it's emphatically not fixed?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@MichaelL

Sorry I didn't explain GID locking very well. It's basically the network can supply phones but lock them to specific parts of SIMs even if they're on the same network. For example years ago I believe Vodafone could lock PAYG phones to only accept PAYG sims and not contract Vodafone ones.

I remember reading about it about the internet, and even on Vodafone's website. They would remove the GID lock for free but not the network one. They can even lock handsets to an individual SIM if they want to (the IMSI).

Should be illegal for the networks to implement locking at all, like it is I believe in Belgium.

Sorry taking the thread off topic a bit here, so I'll stop before I get told off Tongue 

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@aesmith wrote:

By the way, why's this marked as "Fixed" when it's emphatically not fixed?

While we haven't started supporting WiFi calling, we have provided an explanation as to why we don't offer this as a service:

@SarahStewart wrote:

We appreciate all feedback as it allows us to continually improve as a service provider. 

As you've mentioned in your above post we are an MVNO who aim to provide the best possible value, if we were to include all the features of the EE network this would have to be reflected in the price and come in to line with EE pricing. 

This being said we do value all customer suggestions and I'll certainly forward this on to the relevant team. 

I'm afraid there's nothing further for me to add to this response at this time.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet