Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my PlusNet Mobile account not been cancelled and refunded as agreed

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Why has my PlusNet Mobile account not been cancelled and refunded as agreed

I ordered a PlusNet Mobile SIM on 2 December 2016  it arrived on 5 December 2016.

After a week's testing I found signal reception to be hopeless. Far worse than the projection having checked the coverage maps. I couldn't get 4G at all and even 3G was only occasional.

On 13 December 2016 I used Live Chat to cancel it within the 14 day Distance Selling cancellation period. The pertinent parts of the discussion were as follows:

PlusNet: I'm sorry that the service hasn't worked out for you, hopefully in future we'd be able to improve the service around your area. Lets see. 19:11:55
PlusNet: As you're within your first 14 days I can cancel this for you immediately and request a full refund of the £10 upfront payment to your bank account, you should see this return within 10 working days. :)19:13:14

We then tried a manual connect which failed - then:

PlusNet: Oh well it was worth a shot, sorry [drj]. Likely as you say the signal is weaker in your house since things like building materials can effect coverage. 19:22:08
PlusNet: It would likely connect to 4G depending on the location, or I can still process the cancellation for you. How would you like to proceed?19:23:45
[drj]: Since I've not seen 4G on the phone at all - with Plusnet - but I have with the Three SIM I also have, I'll stay on Three PAYG and have the PlusNet SIM cancelled please19:24:53
PlusNet: Okay, I'll cancel the account now and have that 10 working day refund processed. Is there anything else I can help with for now? 19:25:46

HOWEVER...

Today I have just received this email:

Hello [drj],  

We're just dropping you a line to let you know that your bill is now available to view. Simply head over to My Account and use your account number and password to log in to check on all your calls, texts and data used this month.

As your account is in credit by £7.37, we won't be taking a payment this month, and this credit will be applied to your bill.

Don't forget you can use My Account to check your current and previous bills, monitor your usage and update your details too.

Thanks,
The Plusnet Mobile Team

I have tried to use Live Chat but it just hangs waiting for a response.

Would you please advise how the full £10 refund promised (*) can be effected and my account closed. Needless to say I've checked my bank account and no refund has been received.

* - note I was promised a full refund not a "refund minus usage" - which in any case was all testing.

8 REPLIES 8
drj
Aspiring Pro

Re: Why has my PlusNet Mobile account not been cancelled and refunded as agreed

Full details including my account number and a full transcript of the LiveChat session have now been PMed to Ashleigh Davis

drj
Aspiring Pro

This is still ongoing. I yesterday received a response: I can confirm your contract has been disconnected with immediate effect on 13th December and your refund would've been processed between the 14th-21st December too.

However my original request remains unresolved: Would you please advise how the full £10 refund promised (*) can be effected and my account closed. Needless to say I've checked my bank account and no refund has been received. * - note I was promised a full refund not a "refund minus usage" - which in any case was all testing.

drj
Aspiring Pro

The situation is becoming a farce!

I have today received a response from PlusNet:

The notification you received informed you your account is in credit. When applying a BACs payment, we'll need to credit the account in order for this to go through. Once the BACs payment has been received and you've confirmed the refund has returned to your available balance; we can update your file and remove the credit so you no longer receive any further correspondence. An upfront refund has been processed on the 14th December, meaning you should've received this between the 14th-21st December. If this isn't the case, I certainly do apologise but we'll need a copy of your bank statement from that period so we can investigate and raise this further

I have responded thus:

This is getting ridiculous!  How am I supposed to be able to send you a copy of my bank statement when there is no facility to attach a file to a PM?  Surely your own records show than the payment hasn't gone through?  And if I'm brutally honest what business of yours is it what is showing otherwise on my bank statement?

drj
Aspiring Pro

After being advised how to email a copy of my bank statement through, I realised that I couldn't find the original payment either - and then it dawned on me that I'd had problems with the original order - at the time when PlusNet Mobile was rejecting people's payment details. Only once before has my Lloyds Debit Card not been accepted online - when buying a TV from John Lewis several years ago.

So, having with some trouble managed to log onto a Nationwide Credit Card website that I hardly ever use, I've found both the original payment and the refund - the latter showing as being made on 16/12/16. So that's resolved that but it still doesn't explain why I've had a "bill" last Saturday showing my account to be in credit when it's been closed down.

Perhaps I recelved someone else's bill?

drj
Aspiring Pro

I am assured that the credit showing on my account was from my account and not someone else's. However it appears that the account wasn't properly shut down when the refund was made at cancellation, hence it was still showing.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Perhaps I missed it but where was your apology to Plusnet for all of the nonsense you've posted on here and elsewhere since it turns out the issue was nothing to do with them? 

Wink

drj
Aspiring Pro

It is NOT nonsence - I've had a bill which should NOT have been issued since the account had been terminated. I have apologised offline to PlusNet regarding the mix-up over the bank account that was used - but that problem was caused by PlusNet's ordering website refusing my Lloyds Debit Card in the first place.

drj
Aspiring Pro

Please note the following from my discussion with PlusNet:

PN:

According to our record, the refund has been processed and as I've previously advised, you should have received this back into your Lloyds account between the 14th-21st December. The refund was processed on the 14th and it can take up to 5 working days to receive.

drj:

Would you please confirm it was Lloyds that the refund was issued to, since I've discovered I can't find the original payment to you there either. I seem to recall your systems wouldn't accept my Lloyds payment details and I might have used an alternative Bank..

PN:

I can confirm the refund has been processed to the bank account that was registered to your Direct Debit, which is your Lloyds account.

drj:

I have now with some difficulty managed to log into my Nationwide Credit Card account haveing found nothing recorded in either my Lloyds Current Account or my Halifax Credit Card account. I rarely use the Nationwide one. I find both the original payment and the refund, but these hadn't registered on my mind since the one balanced out the other and there was a zero balance showing on the payment slip.

So you can see that the refund was not where PN said it had been made.