cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does porting take so long

Gemhols

Why does porting take so long

Received new SIM a couple of days after ordering and kept up to date throughout the process....great start very impressed. Followed the text instructions on porting number on Sunday evening, SMS received confirming that all required info received and porting will start and take 1 to 2 working days. Yesterday my existing number went dead and has remained like this, so no one is able to contact me but I can ring out on the new number supplied by PlusNet. I understand this to be day 3 of the transfer process and realise something is happening as my old number is now dead, but why is it taking so long, surely if my number is dead it means that my previous supplier has released the number so why can PlusNet not set me up. All my previous porting experiences were completed within an hour of my number going dead. But some 18 hours later still no completion of the transfer and reading posts on here it's not unique to me and some have had this go on for days and days until being resolved. Well I will not be waiting and will be seeking compensation for any service lost on my existing number. Is there anyone on here who is able to update me with the status as checking my number it seems to still be with Vodafone even though it's now dead.
5 REPLIES 5
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Why does porting take so long

If you are using an iPhone then Vodafone will have put a profile on your phone, find and delete it and then reboot the phone. It's a known problem with iPhones and Vodafone with all carriers.

Gemhols

A quick update, just got an email from PlusNet to say that my number has been successfully ported. So ok it's taken 18 hours without an incoming line but it now seems to be complete. Fingers crossed everything will be fine from here on.
Renny

I too am waiting for my number to port over. PAC code was sent yesterday morning before 09.00, still not completed. Starting to wish I'd stayed with O2.
Renny

Like others, my number has been disconnected from my old provider, but PlusNet have not been in touch to notify that it is transferred and working.
MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

Sorry to hear your port hasn't completed within timescale, Renny.

If you'd like me to look into this for you and double-check the status of the port please feel free to PM me.