cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Plusnet use so much more data than other networks?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Why does Plusnet use so much more data than other networks?

Hi.

If I use the 02 network to watch a minute's worth of YouTube, it uses about 0.2 MB.

When I swap the sim over to Plusnet, it uses about 20 MB for the same video?!

I think there's a pretty serious issue somewhere down the line. Could PN look into this?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Why does Plusnet use so much more data than other networks?

Hi Cagney1994,

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

We're unable to see exactly what you have used your data on, only the amount that has been used.

We do advise that streaming music/videos, downloading apps etc.. does use more data. Our data also uses the 4G frequency band, which does use up more data quickly than 3G. 

If you would still like us to take a look into this, please message one of the mobile staff listed below via Private Message. I'm away from the office until further notice, so please don't contact me, as I'll be unable to pick this up.

You can also call us on 500 free from your SIM.

Thanks.

- Rebeka

@SarahStewart @OliGaffney @MichaelWilliams @CharlieRobinson

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

One possibility could be that you are getting a better signal on Plusnet than O2, so YouTube is selecting a higher quality stream, which would use more data.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Cagney1994

This https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/How-Much-Data-Does-YouTube-Use  helps explain the possibility of different resolutions as mentioned by @pjmarsh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

I believe O2 also apply image compression, which may force lower resolutions on YouTube.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Image-compression-and-traffic-management/td-p/1034507
szaman81
Grafter

From having  2 to 3 sim only contracts I have found Plusnet Mobile on many occasions eats into my data at the start of the new day, here are the very first transaction of the day:

19-Aug-2018 xxxx   Data 128 mb
18-Aug-2018 xxxx   Data 76 mb
12-Aug-2018 xxxx   Data 122 mb
11-Aug-2018 xxxx   Data 40 mb
10-Aug-2018 xxxx   Data 140 mb
10-Aug-2018 xxxx   Data 13 mb

I cannot show many transactions due to having my phone connected to wifi most of the time but I know for a fact that if I didn't have my phone connected to wifi I could have shown more transaction with high data usage 122mb

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed phone number as it's a public forum.