cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the speed like for Plusnet Mobile compared to EE please?

DervMan
Dabbler

Re: What is the speed like for Plusnet Mobile compared to EE please?

I'm paying less for Plusnet than I paid GiffGaff, I'm getting more calls & txt! It's a win/win for me.

shaunfriend
Dabbler

Having come from GiffGaff where the differences in speed and signal between then MVNO and O2 Direct were miles apart I thought I would do a specific side by side test here for everyone's consumption. The outcome is that I don't think there is as big a difference between Plusnet and EE as there are with other MVNOs.

This test was conducted with two identical iPhone 6's side by side, both 4G and both at the same time and to the same speedtest server in St Peter Port

network-comparison.jpg

It's true that the speeds shown are not 'great' but are typical of this central city location.

I've seen some staggering 70+mbit speeds in the rural area where I live on EE so am hopeful the same will be the case with Plusnet but will test that when I get an opportunity over the next week or so. Shown below is a speedtest on EE from October that I'm hoping Plusnet might get close to when I try again!

LTE.png

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

There's no way we're getting EE's top speeds as that's their main USP. The most I've seen on PN so far is 27.45Mbps DL & 3.34Mbps UL which for the price is excellent. I was on GG previously and the most I got out of them was around 5.5Mbps.

HangTen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've just run a speed-test from inside my house .... not too shabby for a mid-Devon village Smiley

Screenshot_2016-12-30-13-19-22.png

shaunfriend
Dabbler

On GiffGaff the restrictions lift at about 23:30 each evening, at which point the speeds are identical. GiffGaff has some very advanced traffic management policies in place as presumably they are paying for data (albeit on a much larger scale) just as we the end customer does. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true about Plusnet/EE's relationship.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Lol, I'll have to take your word about Giffgaff as I'm in bed by then. The 27Mbps max I've seen on PN was during the day at my local Asda. Reception is a bit more spotty at home so it can drop to 3G speeds.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes, the 4G is much faster than GG was and is also more consistent. I used to get packet dropout problems with GG VOIP at peak times even though the signal was strong which I assume was lack of bandwidth.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Plusnet speed test around 26Meg down and 11Meg up with 4G+ but EE get 115Meg down and 44Meg up with 4G++

But to be fair PN are lots cheaper than EE and don't forget it only 30 days contract!

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

With my PN sim I’m getting 28 down and 9 up and that seems to be the speed you get on EE with a standard contract. EE do a premier service called “Double Speed” and cost, so I’m not complaining with EE standard speeds at PN prices and certainly beats what GiffGaff so call 4G where I once managed 2 Mb down and 5 up.

Funny thing about 4G on PN is that my wife’s Life mobile (now PN) has 3G only but gets the same speed as me having 4G so no incentive to upgrade her sim.

PlsnetFan
Dabbler

Thanks for the fascinating feedback.

I understand there can be a difference in terms of the data speed, but in terms of the telephone calls signal and quality is there be a frequent difference between Plusnet and it's 'parent' network provider EE?

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Lol, I just replied to this in the top sticky thread.

None whatsoever, I'm pretty sure that regardless of the carrier, any piggyback service would be exactly the same. It's only the data download speed that can vary.