cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the speed like for Plusnet Mobile compared to EE please?

PlsnetFan
Dabbler

What is the speed like for Plusnet Mobile compared to EE please?

I've been a customer of EE for 10+ years. The connection speed has generally been very good with EE. I am on a 4G package.

On another phone I use iD Mobile, an MVNO who uses the Three network to route calls, texts, and data. It is supposed to provide a 4G signal. However, the 4G signal is nothing like as good as EEs. When I have enquired about this, I have been informed that because iD Mobile don't own the network, they receive an inferior signal to Three's own customers who take priority.

Therefore, on that basis, can anyone please tell me if the signal quality with Plusnet's mobile service would be equal to that of EE's customers? I know that Plusnet uses EE's network.

Also what is the customer service like for Plusnet when you telephone them? How long do you typically have to hang on the line to speak to them as a customer?

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your thoughts Smiley

Tags (5)
25 REPLIES 25
PlsnetFan
Dabbler

Re: What is the speed like for Plusnet Mobile compared to EE please?

Any ideas on the signal quality please?

Also, does anybody know if EE prioritises their own signals versus those of Plusnet mobile?

Like I was saying above, I've intermittently experienced problems with another mobile network which uses Three, because Three prioritises their own network's customers' connections.

Any feedback would be welcome. Thank you.

timmcat
Dabbler

I've been on Life for nearly a year and upgraded to a Plusnet package yesterday. The rest of my family are on EE. No difference in signal strength on the whole, occasionally there's is better, sometimes mine is (I'm guessing it's because they're on different cell masts at the time). 

Data connections also comparable. I've only had 4G since yesterday but a quick speed test indoors at home (in a fairly weak signal area) gave a 24meg down and 8meg up speed. 

Hope that helps. 

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

All I can say at present is that I'm deeply unimpressed by the signal quality on PlusNet Mobile. I've been in various parts of Gloucester today and popped up to Tewkesbury. At home the signal is resolutely 2G - good strength but never gets to 3G. In and around Gloucester it occasionally gets to 3G, but I've never once seen 4G on the display. It was 3G standing outside the EE shop in Tewkesbury.

I'm going to do some more testing over the weekend - I'm in Bristol tomorrow for instance - but if this is the case it's pointless me having a PlusNet SIM when my Three and Tesco SIMs both get better signals.

PlsnetFan
Dabbler

Thank you for the valuable feedback.

Does anybody else have an experience of both the phone signal and data connection quality of Plusnet mobile please? Thanks.

bristolash91
Grafter

slow 

HangTen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It depends on your distance from an EE mast, however my personal experience is that with Plusnet, I can now  reliably make and receive calls at home, whereas on my previous Talkmobile SIM (which uses the Vodaphone network) I could only get an (unreliable) signal in some parts of the garden. I can also get a solid 4G data connection at home on the Plusnet SIM, but have yet to test other locations.

philioso
Dabbler

The signal is the same - exactly the same as if you used EE or any other virtual provider that is based on EE.

However, what you have to bear in mind is that PlusNet will have purchased a certain amount of capacity from EE - this is particularly applicable to data and it's unlikely to be anything like the amount that EE make available to themselves (network owner perks!). I've never seen a virtual provider reveal the capacity purchased - commercial secrets! However it usually shows at peak time, when you will benefit from been with a premium provider - but your bank balance won't benefit.

Thats not to say PlusNet is slow - if your in a place with good reception, EE vs PlusNet side by side, I would expect EE to be quite a bit quicker but you should still be able to get reasonable rates on PlusNet.

Of course if your in an area without any good EE signal reception, then PlusNet or any other virtual provider using EE won't be any good to you and your better off looking elsewhere - different networks perform better/worse depending on how much they have invested in your area.

Interesting side note... EE have a contract to deliver comms for the next gen emergency services radios using 4G... so they are having to invest in improved coverage. Not all the new coverage will be open to the public (as some will have minimal connectivity to provide basics for them) but hopefully it might bring some members of the public along the way.

DervMan
Dabbler

I'm finding much, much faster than GiffGaff. Getting around 25Mbps up/down on 3&4G which is perfectly acceptable for me. 

folkdisco
Hooked

I *believe* this depends totally on your locality. I used to be on giffgaff. No problems with data anywhere, until we went on holiday to Devon and Cornwall. Absolutely no 2g or 3g data, 24/7, except for occasionally getting a bit when everyone else had gone to bed. I assume all the data was taken up by O2 customers, or other Mobile Virtual Network Operators, or maybe even local giffgaff users. My other half had the exact same problem. Fine for calls and texts. No data. Kept contacting giffgaff on wifi, and they kept lying to me. Eventually gave up and bought ASDA/EE sim, which actually worked. So... As long as there is enough data *locally*, in your local cells, you will have good service. Asking other people will only give you so much info, as they don't live where you live. Also, if plusnet mobile are more successful, they may buy more data from EE, but also have to spread it further. It's a budget service, so I am willing to accept a bit of this, so long as it doesn't get ridiculous.

TerminatorUK
Hooked

Posted in another topic but I'm very happy with PlusNet mobile's speeds:

On my usual York-Leeds train commute I performed some more tests to verify the speed (speedtest.net links included to verify my claims!):

Micklefield station - 28.04Mpbs Down | 9.63Mbps up | 35ms Ping:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2465216777

East Garforth station - 23.35Mpbs Down | 3.06Mbps up | 39ms Ping

(Usually this is where I got a 'black spot' and no coverage at all with Three):

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2465225868

Leeds station - 20.08Mpbs Down | 8.57Mbps up | 35ms Ping

(Where I only got 3G and about 1Mbps before with Three):

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2465254546

timmcat
Dabbler

(That's about 150mb of your allowance blown there!)

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

That's good to know as I'm still waiting on my sim. I was on O2 for a short while and was getting 24Mbs download but moved to GiffGaff at half the price. Sadly my download speed dropped to 5Mps on 4G.

DervMan
Dabbler

I've been using EE for a few weeks now and it's so much better than GiffGaff.
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

At presumably a higher price which is why I moved to GiffGaff from O2 in the first place, but the downside is too great and Plusnets deals are as good as GiffGaff's so it should be a win win for me.