Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird post-port behaviour

FIXED
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Weird post-port behaviour

My daughter has gone to Australia for a year. To keep her number and not have to pay for a PN rolling contract whilst away, she bought a 3 PAYG SIM - which also gives or some roaming so can be used for emergencies in a spare phone.

The port did not complete before she left and although there was a couple of days delay it now seems to have done so.

BUT:

• texts from most people, and my spare phone with an O2 sim, go through to her phone with the 3 SIM in it no problem
  • texts from my main phone with a Voda SIM still go to the phone with the PN sim in it even though the PN sim appears to have no signal and indicates emergency calls only.

It is 2 days post port and she has rebooted both phones several times.

Any ideas🤔

Thanks

PT

4 REPLIES 4
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Weird post-port behaviour

Hi
This is probably related to Messaging apps sending the message via data (over WiFi) rather than as SMS over the phone network.
Modern Android phones use RCS.
https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/144258-what-is-rcs-messaging-the-messaging-format-set-to-tak...
Apple uses their proprietory messaging formats.

Messages between Android and Iphone only transfer as SMS.
What make and model of phones are exhibiting the issue?
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hi,

had wondered about this.

My Huawei P20 Pro using google messages on voda goes to her PN phone if I use her contact details I have in contacts which are in the format 0705 xxxxxxxxx. Have tried texting  +44 705 xxxxx so it doesn't recognise the contact but these don't seem to go to either of her phones.

My Poco F3 on O2 also using google messages and google contacts goes through fine.

My wife using google messages on ID also goes to her PN phone.

I wonder if you are on to something because we have both had regular text conversations with her on our regular phones but the Poco on O2 has  not sent her messages before.

If this is the case how do we make sure future messages go to the 3 SIM?

Thanks

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Fix
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Cheers Richard. Just installed Chomp SMS app on my voda P20 and texts go straight to her 3 phone. does seem to be an RCS issue.

regards

PT