cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail - using with SOS pendant. New Account

ceejay13
Hooked

Voicemail - using with SOS pendant. New Account

I wish to turn off Voicemail, however I have read that if it is turned off, it will ring so many times before a busy signal/message is sent.  

My Father has an SOS pendant with voice communication, this cycles around 3 numbers until it is answered.  I believe that your changing of the ring tone may trigger a 'call accepted' mode on the pendant rather than continuing to the next number it needs to call, even though it hasn't actually been answered.  Elsewhere in the Forum it is suggested that the ring time can be extended to 30 seconds and then the call is answered with a message or Voicemail.

(From the pendant supplier
Regarding the ringing sequence: it is about 30sec before it picks the next authorized number. If  the device fails to dial all 3 numbers, it will start to dial the numbers again after 5 minutes. This will continue until one of the phones numbers answer the call.)

Basically, it seems that I would need >35 seconds of ringing before any action is taken by the Network.

As you may appreciate, this is for use of an SOS pendant used by my 90 year old Father and it is imperative that we can operate it succesfully.  Please advise what can be done (if anything) to make this work.  

My number is being ported at the moment (gulp), but I fear I may need to go back to my original provider as they just let the phone ring.

TIA

5 REPLIES 5
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Voicemail - using with SOS pendant. New Account

Hi ceejay13,

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

Having been in a similar situation myself, I completely understand the importance of this and how vital it is for a device such as the 'SOS pendant' to be fully accessible at all times.

I have queried this with a colleague and I'm afraid the maximum ring time we can alter the SIM card configuration to is 30 seconds. 

When the Voicemail service is switched off, it will ring for 30 seconds and then divert to a disconnected line with no Voicemail service. The caller will either hear a silent line or tone such as a continuous beep. 

If the Voicemail service is switched on, after 30 seconds, the call will be directed to the service where the caller will be asked to leave a message. 

I appreciate you getting in touch with us regarding this and I'll be sure to bring this to the attention of the Support Team, hopefully they can implement a service to support this in the near future.

I wish I could assist you further ceejay13, but don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions and I'll do my best to help!

- Rebeka 

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Admittedly I had no prior knowledge of SOS pendants but I've just had a quick Google and it seems that nearly all carriers use 30 seconds as the maximum length of ring tone which makes the statement by the pendant manufacturer seem a little odd to say the least. Have you ever actually tested the pendant on any network?

ceejay13
Hooked

Hi

Thank you for your response.  I did manage to Chat with one of your support guys later yesterday and it seems that unfortunately Plusnet is not the Network for me due to the limitations in the Voicemail side of things, so once my number has been ported, I will have to get a PAC and return to the original Network.

@Colin_Maybe Yes this does work, with another 2 carriers, when Voicemal is disabled, the phone carries on ringing. 
With Voicemail set at its longest delay, this equated to ~30 seconds.
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Ahh, sorry, I was looking at times with voicemail activated.

ceejay13
Hooked

No problem. 

Didn't have a problem with the 30 seconds, it was what is done after that time with Voicemail deactivated.