Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail notification on unlocked vodafone smart ultra 6

ingasos
Dabbler

Voicemail notification on unlocked vodafone smart ultra 6

Hi,

does anyone know how I can get a notification on my vodafone smart ultra 6  mobile phone when I have a voicemail message? I have recently moved from Three mobile to the plusnet mobile service and on three I used to get a text message with a link in it that I pressed to go to my voicemail service. I understand that plusnet does not provide this sort of service and that they say that the notification is a feature of the mobile phone. I have checked the vodafone smart ultra 6  user manual and I can't see anywhere where I can set up a voicemail notification facility. Has anyone got a vodafone smart ultra 6 mobile and if so, have you been able to setup a voicemail notification facility?  If you were successfully in setting this up, how did you do it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Siggi

13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Voicemail notification on unlocked vodafone smart ultra 6

Hi, I assume it's running Android Lollipop (5.0) or marshnmallow(6.0 )

Does the standard Android setup help https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Settings-for-your-device/Setting-up-voicemail-on-Android-5-0-Lolli... .Ok , that's for Giffgaff but it should be similar for PN

edit: scratch that, I don't think it helps with notifications

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

I have the SU6 but I've never had to change it. There are settings for voicemail if you tap the dialler and then on the menu (top right) settings/calls/voicemail.

Edit: try the codes in the following post :- https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/New-customer-voicemail-not-working-as-it-should/m-p/1421636#M31...

ingasos
Dabbler

Thanks for the info. I checked all the settings as per the link and it's all setup, so I can access the voicemail, but the notification of a voicemail is still not working. I don't see any options to setup a notification facility. 

ingasos
Dabbler

thank for the info and the link. I will try this out and get back to let you know if it sorts out my problem. 

ingasos
Dabbler

unfortunately although I entered the following **004*+447870020555*11*30# and I did get a message stating that it was now registered, I still don't get a voicemail notification. The voice mail works and I can get my voicemail messages it's just the notification that is missing.

ingasos
Dabbler

I've not been able to find a solution in the setup in the mobile phone, so I tried a number of apps from the Play Store. Loads don't work, but I tried one called "A Better VoiceMail Notifier" with 50% bad reviews and 50% good reviews so I thought o well I'll give it a go and it actually works!

I'll use this until I can find a proper solution.

If anyone else has any suggestions on how to setup the voicemail notification facility, then please let me know. 

HashBrown5
Dabbler

Just thought I'd add that I'm using a Galaxy S8+ and I also don't get voicemail notifications. I've tried everything and nothing works.
ingasos
Dabbler

I ended up adding a app to the phone called " A better Voicemail Notifier" from Play store and that works well!

It notifies you with a spoken message "you have voicemail" every few minutes.    

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@ingasos I've just realised that I never asked which launcher you're using as that would have an affect. I'm using the stock one.

ingasos
Dabbler

same here, I'm using the stock one supplied on the phone.

sleepygecko

Just noticed this thread due to the recent posts.  I had raised a similar thread recently and have noted that there are also others highlighting the same issue.  I'm confident this is not an issue with the handsets as each thread pertains to different device models.

Voicemail notifications are driven by the network (the voicemail server should trigger a specially encoded SMS which will activate/deactivate the notification symbol on the phone).  In my case, I know that the notifications worked previously on both Vodafone and O2.  I've spoken with several people within PlusNet support.  It seems that they have a very basic voicemail server that behaves in a non-standard manner.  My pecularity is that I will not receive a notification until I restart my phone.  As the phone registers onto the network, it seems the re-registration process triggers the SMS.

I have had no confirmation from PlusNet that they are looking into this issue and get the impression they do not consider it a serious issue.  However, as a user, it is a showstopper.  What if a customer or colleague leaves me an urgent message and I don't pick it up for several days?!

ingasos
Dabbler

I basically had the same problem, in that I moved from three mobile where the voicemail facility worked as expected on the same mobile phone. The way I addressed the problem was to install the app called "A better Voicemail Notifier" from Play store (as mentioned above). This actually works well and alerts you to the fact you have a voicemail. The voice message is a bit naff, but it really does work well, as it repeats every few minutes until you listen to the voicemail. I had tried loads of different apps and gave up looking for alternatives when I found that this one actually works. Try it and see what you think. Let me know if you find a better one.    

HashBrown5
Dabbler

*SOLUTION*

I made another call to customer services, this time they suggested I try a brand new sim card. And it worked. I now have voicemail notifications back working on my Samsung Galaxy S8+

This may only be a temporary solution, let's see how long it lasts.  I must stress that I've tried so many different settings on the phone, clearing cache, installing apps and messing with 3G/LTE settings. Nothing worked. 

Swapping out the sim card for a brand new one, sent by Plusnet worked instantly. Note I haven't changed contracts or phone numbers, just activated a new sim card.

Does this mean it's 100% a fault with Plusnet and not the phone? Still not sure... maybe the phone broke the sim card?
Anyway - I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has any success with this method.