Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail alert is now permanently set on my mobile

FIXED
mikejohnsmith
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Voicemail alert is now permanently set on my mobile

My voicemail and alert has worked OK for a few years, until a few days when ago I received a voicemail alert on the mobile and listened to it, and deleted it

The alert remains on my mobile. The time shown on the alert changes, suggesting the mobile handset  reads the alert status from the network and the timestamp on the alert is the time the alert status was last checked

I had this issue some years ago with EE and I believe that the voicemail server sets a flag when there is a new voicemail message. This flag is then read by the mobile, and the mobile alerts the user. The flag on the server is then cleared once the voicemail is read.

I had a 'chat' with Plusnet who said that the alert is a function of the phone, and that I should turn off data and wifi, go to flight mode, power off, wait some time, power on, and turn on wifi and data etc. I carried out the procedure and sure enough the alert had gone, but it came back after around 30 minutes.

Based on previous experience administering phone contracts I believe that I need PlusNet to reset the flag on the voicemail server, maybe by restarting the voicemail spool.

Has anybody managed to get Plusnet to carry out this procedure

I have seen elsewhere that  Plusnet do not seem to have access to network facilities in the same way as EE and in some cases voicemail problems have been fixed by a replacement SIM card, I assume this process makes a new connection at the network level and you then start off with a fresh default voicemail port.

Maybe someone from Plusnet can assist.

P.S. I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 (2016) but believe the phone is innocent as voicemail has all been working OK for some years.

Thanks

Mike

2 REPLIES 2
mikejohnsmith
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Voicemail alert is now permanently set on my mobile

Fix

Since posting my query I have 'fixed' the problem.

before posting I had tried by making a call to the phone and leaving a voicemail, then listening and deleting the voicemail, hoping it would drop the 'new voicemail' flag. This didn't work.

After posting my query I carried out the same procedure, but left it about 30 minutes from leaving the voicemail, to listening and deleting. I then waited approximately 30 minutes and eventually the voicemail alert on the phone disappeared.

I have noticed that it can take some time between missing a call and getting the voicemail alert. So I assume that the voicemail server may have a long and variable cycle time

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Voicemail alert is now permanently set on my mobile

I've had this issue too. Eventually the notification goes, but it can be a long time afterwards.