Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice mail not working when outside UK

Hobby
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Voice mail not working when outside UK

Every so often I work away outside the UK in a location with no mobile phone signal. I can still access my voice mail via a landline to retrieve any messages to begin with. However after a couple of days the voice mail does not work and a number unobtainable tone is heard. Even a family member trying to ring my mobile from within the UK gets the same number unobtainable tone. It is as though my number has been cut off.

Just to add when I am away I still have my mobile switched on despite no mobile signal as I use a wifi signal at my location so I can send i-messages and use face time etc.

Upon my return to the UK I switch my mobile on and after a few minutes everything is back to normal, with my mobile number working as well as voice mail!

Why can I not retrieve my voice mail from a landline in this situation, al very odd. My other mobile account with Tesco / O2 does not have this issue and I can retrieve voice mail via a landline in the same situation?

Just to add I have also tried dialling the Plusnet voice mail number directly (07870020555) from a land line. This asks you for your mobile number which when I enter my mobile number I get a message saying the number entered does not correspond to a voice mail box!

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Re: Voice mail not working when outside UK

Hello @Hobby I am deeply sorry to hear about the issues you have with your voicemail, when you travel abroad.

In response to your query, I am presuming, you have already tried removing your SIM card and popped it back in whilst you are away.

In addition to this, when your enter your mobile number via a landline to listen into your voicemail inbox. Rather than entering '0' and then following digits, you will need to replace the '0' with +44.

Should you require any further assistance, please do get back in touch with us.

Many thanks. 

Hobby
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Re: Voice mail not working when outside UK

Yes I have tried the sim card removal out but to no avail, all still the same

As I mentioned when I dial in to my mobile number from a UK land line when I am out of the UK it goes to a number unobtainable signal. It is only when I return to the UK mainland with UK mobile phone signal that things recover. This is the same for anyone else living in the UK dialling in to my mobile number from a UK landline or any UK mobile number, they also get the same unobtainable signal. So basically my phone is cut off and does not exist until I return to the UK where there is a valid mobile signal.

For info I am actually in the middle of the North Sea on production platform and still have UK landline facilities out here. There is just no mobile signal as they don't put phone transmitters in the middle of the North Sea!

I suspect it is how my connection is configured at Plusnet and somehow just cuts my phone off altogether until I return to a location with a mobile signal. Also just to add the phone works fine overseas, in Europe at least, as there is a mobile phone signal and no issues at all.

All very odd and frustrating as it does not happen with my other network mobile (Tesco/O2).