Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE after EE 3G shutdown?

FIXED
George7
Hooked

VoLTE after EE 3G shutdown?

Hi, I was just wondering whether anyone knew if plusnet had any plans to add volte after EE shut down their 3G network, as that means all calls will have to be on 2G only
Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: VoLTE after EE 3G shutdown?

Fix

As I understand it EE's 3G is being withdrawn starting in 2023 and to be complete by end of 2024.  Calls can be made using 2G - until 2025 when 2G is due to be withdrawn too.

As far as Plusnet mobile is concerned, I expect their mobile offering to go the same way as their business broadband - i.e. customers will be offered a move to EE.

Plusnet are trimming down their business and don't have a good history of adopting newer technology - no VoIP, no IPv6, no VoLTE, etc, with e-mail, web space, etc withdrawn. They will soon be basic consumer broadband only.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@corringham - IF they don't completely evaporate!

John
George7
Hooked

Thanks for that - now that you point it out, it does definitely seem like plusnet mobile is going to end, especially as bt are investing so much in ee already. They also seem to be one of the only networks without 5G as well, which proves it even more. Because of all this, I've now switched to EE, and I'm currently waiting for my sim to arrive thanks to the postal strikes😂😂

Thank you for your help Smiley
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I note that no Plusnet staff have commented - which I think says a lot.

George7
Hooked

😂😂😂
japitts
Rising Star

@corringham wrote:

As I understand it EE's 3G is being withdrawn starting in 2023 and to be complete by end of 2024.  Calls can be made using 2G - until 2025 when 2G is due to be withdrawn too.

There are no current plans to withdraw 2G. New equipment is still being installed that has more than 3 years shelf-life.

It is correct to state that CSFB can be to 2G for non-VoLTE devices/users/MVNO's

George7
Hooked

Yeah. It still seems that they're going to be going backwards in technology - now that 5G is out calls can only be over 2G 😂. So I guess bt would either upgrade it or just get rid of plusnet?
daviesryan35
Hooked

Plusnet was a good budget provider but honestly the least I ask is that they add VoLTE then it would be usable. Only other downside is the loss of lowband 4g that makes coverage inside of houses and shops worse but that is understandable.