cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very low signal - new Plusnet sim

Su3_2020
Hooked

Very low signal - new Plusnet sim

Hi, just moved from Three to Plusnet on both our mobile phones.  Very disappointed with the signal on both mobiles.  It was never that good with Three but checking both Plusnet and EE signal checkers, it's supposed to be Very Good for voice, text and emails.  Most of the time there are either none, one or two signal bars only (moslty 1).

Any help or suggestions welcome

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Very low signal - new Plusnet sim

Good afternoon  Su3_2020 welcome to the Community

Is it just at your house that the signal is poor

I find this link very good as you can enter your post code and your address

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

NA

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Su3_2020  Welcome to the forum.

I do not know whether this is your problem but Plusnet do not have access to the EE 800MHz band. They claim to have the same coverage as EE but if you happen to be in an area only covered well by this band then you will be disappointed. See here for more information:  https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Plusnet-Mobile-reception-not-as-good-as-EE/m-p/1590459#M11282

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks  Baldrick1

That link was very interesting 

People who buy/change to PlusNet are under the impression they will receive the same EE signal and benefits

HD   

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Su3_2020, I'm sorry for the issues you're having with your signal.

Does this issue occur solely at your home address and if so, is this the same inside and outside the property? Or is it the same everywhere?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Su3_2020
Hooked

Thanks, I hadn't tried the Ofcom checker.  Odd how Ofcom report lower results than but both EE (great coverage outdoors and good coverage indoors 4 bars 4G) and Plusnet (very good 4 bars).  All results are for my post code.

Su3_2020
Hooked

Hi Lauren, I haven't been away from the house to know what the signal is like elsewhere yet.  The problem is better outside the house than in.  Only 1 bar (somethimes nothing) indoors but outside up to 3 bars. The signal with my previous carrier wasn't great at home but at least I could make and receive phone calls.

Thank you.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for confirming @Su3_2020. It's possible that the signal indoors at your home address could just be poor and in which case, in all honesty not much we can do as there are many factors that can impact mobile signal (for example the material/ thickness of your walls).

So we can investigate further however, can you send a private message with the following details:

- The mobile number in question

- Your full name

- The full address including postcode
- Are you the account holder?

- Your date of birth
- The last 2 digits of both the bank account number & sort code

We can then take a further look into this for you; it may be that we need to gather some examples so our Ops team can take a look at this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Su3_2020
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick1 I used the checker recommended. Getting very technical for me, shall I post the results here?

japitts
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Su3_2020  Welcome to the forum.

I do not know whether this is your problem but Plusnet do not have access to the EE 800MHz band. They claim to have the same coverage as EE but if you happen to be in an area only covered well by this band then you will be disappointed. See here for more information:  https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Plusnet-Mobile-reception-not-as-good-as-EE/m-p/1590459#M11282

Just on one very specific point, I don't think PN ever claim to have the same coverage as EE. None of the EE MVNOs do.

They make carefully phrased (and accurate) claims to "use EE".

To most people it sounds the same, but there is that subtle difference.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @Su3_2020, I have picked up and responded to your PM.

If you reply to this, just pop a message on this thread to let us know so we can pick this up for you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1

@japitts 

If you want to split hairs I suspect that if you compare the EE and Plusnet coverage maps that they will be very similar.

However that is not the point. An area with mediocre 1800 MHz signal from Plusnet and the same poor level of 1800 MHz signal plus good 800 MHz reception from EE can legitimately be claimed to be 'covered' by both parties.

Obviously this might not be the case at the OPs location.

Moderator and Customer

japitts
Rising Star

On the contrary @Baldrick1 , your previous post accused PN of falsely claiming to have identical coverage to EE. I was pointing out how they don't claim that, no EE MVNO does - they make a similar-sounding claim that the vast majority would take to mean the same.

Of course you are absolutely correct about the definition of "covered", and that for the most part EE & PN's coverage will be very similar. But 4G800 can make a difference in fringe areas and the more remote & rural corners of the country... however (just like many of the "extras" that the large networks offer and others cut back on) that comes with a cost implication.

People need to choose the best service for them, based on circumstances & price.

Su3_2020
Hooked

@Baldrick1

@japitts 

Hi

Here's the EE coverage checker results for my postcode.  So if I understand this correctly and PN don't have access to 800Mhz band we're not going to get a good signal indoors?

Thanks

Baldrick1

@Su3_2020 

Not really, GSM is used for voicw and data, LTE is for high speed data only. Consequently your best GSM signal seems to be a 2g service at 1800MHz and the 800MHz band is irrelevant in this case.

Moderator and Customer