cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very fed up with these Chinese spoofing calls. - It is too much for us now. :'(

Mazzy
Dabbler

Very fed up with these Chinese spoofing calls. - It is too much for us now. :'(

Dear All, Hope you are all well. This is my first post and we are really upset. 😭 Sorry, this is going to be long winded but, it needs to be said now. It is now too much for us. A couple of years ago my brand new mobile phone got "Spoofed". I was getting a lot of Chinese calls. I cannot understand a word they are saying so, there is not much point in ringing me

Anyway, these calls were taking over my phone and I cannot block them as everyone is from a different number. In the end we had to contact the Fraud Squad and they suggested for Plusnet to change my mobile number. Which, we did and you took a long time to do it. And within days - guess what? Even before anyone had been given my new number they started again but, they stopped for a while. Now at the moment it is getting bad again, Not many people have got my new number as I am careful. They keep bothering me and we dread our phones ringing - especially, when you think it is the hospital and it is THEM AGAIN. If I don't answer they then clog up my voicemail and I have to spend some of my monthly allowance to clear it all - why should I? 

Also - my Mum and I did a little experiment. My Mum is on Plusnet too and these calls have started but, not as much as me. And only three people have her mobile phone number. - Me, Doctors and the Dentist. Work that one out. I really hate my mobile phone and it is ruining our lives.

Regards

Marie.

4 REPLIES 4
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Very fed up with these Chinese spoofing calls. - It is too much for us now. :'(

There are already other threads on this. The spammers autodial random numbers so there's little Plusnet can do.

Your best bet is to install an app that blocks calls better than basic Android / IOS; either by wildcard or (as I have done) one that only allows calls from your contacts.

Mazzy
Dabbler

Re: Very fed up with these Chinese spoofing calls. - It is too much for us now. :'(

Thank you for your reply and help Stoker. It would have been a good idea to have a call blocker (I didn't know you could do this) but, I wouldn't be able to do it as when Hospitals and Doctors ring me they never leave a number behind so, I cannot add them to my contacts list.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi Marie, sorry to see you’re getting a lot of nuisance calls. Sad I feel for you as I used to get a fair amount (and still do but not as often now)

What I did was register with the telephone preference service so if you’ve not already I’d recommend doing that. There’s steps here https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/register on how to (you won’t be able to ‘text to register’ as we don’t support shortcodes unfortunately but you can fill out the form on their website to register)

Also it may be worth having a look at the advice given here https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/how-to-block-nuisance-numbers-on-your-mobile/amp/ as there’s ways to block all prefixes of a number, which may work depending what the nuisance call numbers start with.

I hope this helps. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Mazzy
Dabbler

Hi Anoush

Thank you for your help and advice.😀 Sorry, to hear you have the same annoying problem but, not as often.☹️ It is very annoying. We are already on the T.P.S. - thank you. We will certainly be looking at the other link though. It just gets a bit too much at times. 😪