cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Confused About Excessive Data Charge!

FIXED
mikeonslow
Hooked

Very Confused About Excessive Data Charge!

Hi guys,

I've been a long-time PlusNet customer for broadband and recently switched over from EE for mobile due to really liking the company as a whole, but this evening I've been left with a very sour taste in my mouth which is making me reconsider this decision.

When with EE, when I ran out of data I would receive text messages telling me so and I would be unable to use mobile data unless I bought more - apparently this is not the case with PlusNet?!

I log on to the PlusNet app to see that I've accidentally used up all my data, but not only that, but that there's now a charge of £63 on my account for 3GB I've gone over...! I have 3 main issues with this...

1. Why was I not warned or prevented from going over my limit?

2. You can buy a bolt-on of 4GB for £15, so where on earth is the justification of charging £63 for 3GB

3. I have a SmartCap on my account of £10, so how has it been allowed to run up to £63?

Hopefully someone can explain because I am losing my mind a bit here!!

9 REPLIES 9
mikeonslow
Hooked

Re: Very Confused About Excessive Data Charge!

Hopefully someone can help?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @mikeonslow,

Thanks for reaching out to us here. 

I'm sorry you've had some trouble with your mobile service and the charges for data, please accept my apologies for the delayed response. 

So we can start to get this resolved, if it hasn't been already, please drop me a PM with the following information: 

- Your full name and confirmation you are the account holder

- Your full address with postcode

- Your Plusnet mobile number 

Once you've sent across that PM please drop us a response on this thread and we can get that picked up for you. 

Thanks .

mikeonslow
Hooked

Hi @Mads, thanks for your response. I've PM'd you as requested.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi you should have received a text when you reached 80% of your smart cap see below

HD

We’ll let you know when you’ve reached 80% of your Smart Cap limit, before sending you a final reminder when your limit is up.

You can’t go over it, so you don’t need to worry about spending any extra. It’s called a cap for a reason.

mikeonslow
Hooked

I didn't (and still haven't) receive a text. I did get an email telling me I was at my smart cap, but this was AFTER I'd already twigged that it had somehow gone £63 over...

mikeonslow
Hooked

@Mads Hi, I appreciate these are busy times, but just wondered if you'd had a chance to read my PM yet?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @mikeonslow,

I'm very sorry for the delay in getting back to you on here and for the concern that this charge has caused you. I've been able to get your details from the PM now and will just need to confirm a few more things before we can access the account and look into this for you. Please can you send me the following over on a PM?

- The last two digits of your bank account number and last two digits of your sort code

- The 8th character and the 9th character from your memorable place

If you comment on this thread once you've sent the PM, we'll pick this back up ASAP.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
mikeonslow
Hooked

@EmilyD Done!

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Fix

Thank you for sending that information over, you've now passed our data protection checks.

Having checked your account, I can confirm that the £63 charge isn't showing from here and that your latest bill came to £8.24. It appears that this charge was showing due to an error in the app and I will flag this to the relevant team. I'm very sorry for any concern that this caused you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team