cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using sim in car. are plus net conning me?

pko
Dabbler

Using sim in car. are plus net conning me?

Hi all. Here is my problem. I've had a new car for one month which accepts a sim card to make the car a wi fi hotspot. I've started a contract with plus net and have just received my first bill for £5.21. The contract is for £5 and the bill shows no out of bundle extras have been charged. So where has the 21p come from. Well, having spoken to [CSA Removed] via web chat he says it's for a text to 1-925-353-9035 which is Mcaffee's number in USA. A bit strange, as the car has not the ability to send text messages or calls via this sim, only wi fi and I certainly haven't sent any texts to mcaffee. As Plus net use Mcaffee I'm thinking this is some kind of scam from Plus net. It's only 21p but how often will this occur? My previous car used the same system, but I was with the peoples operator then & I never experienced this kind of charge with them.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules.

8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Using sim in car. are plus net conning me?

We don't currently offer the McAfee mobile app, this certainly isn't a scam. Has the SIM been used anywhere other than the car? i.e. has it been inserted into a smartphone, even if only for a short while? If so, does that smartphone have any security applications installed?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi pko,

Thanks for getting in touch with us! 

We don't provide our SIM cards for sole use of data in devices such as tablets, WiFi devices, cars etc... Our SIM cards are for mobile purposes such as calls, texts and data via a mobile handset. We do advise customers that they are welcome to try this however, we cannot guarantee that this will work. 

As far as I'm aware, Plusnet don't use McAfee as a service within the mobile department and isn't associated with our SIM cards. 

All usage and any out of bundle charges that are recorded directly from the SIM card itself, is sent back to us via the masts within the network. 

Feel free to send me a private message and I can look into the charges further for you. 

- Rebeka 

pko
Dabbler

Hi Bob. Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. No the sim hasn't been in a phone. It went straight into the car. The car doesn't have the facility to send texts or make calls via this sim card. The sim is used purely as a wifi hot spot.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pko,

Have you spoken to the car manufacturer itself? Could it be a possibility that as they provide this WiFi feature, it comes with built-in internet protection such as McAfee?

Just a suggestion. 

- Rebeka 

pko
Dabbler

Hi Rebeka. I've spoken to range rover about this & they deny all knowledge. Below is a suggestion that has been put forward

"Who's your provider?

The number is a Mcafee registration number that a Sim will send a SMS each time the 'protected' SIM is reset or activated. "

So it sounds as if you have been subscribed to the Mcafee service without you knowing.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pko

If the SIM has sent this SMS to the number in question, it will be due to the fact the SIM has been used in a device that is currently using or has installed the McAfee system. This could be a mobile handset, tablet or even possibly a car WiFi service however, the last suggestion you would have to confirm. 

I have replied to your PM so I'll continue there. Smiley

- Rebeka 

pko
Dabbler

thanks for your time Rebeka. It's only 21p, not worth worrying about if this is a one off. If it appears on my bill again then I'll have to re assess my contract. Thanks for your help.

paul 

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Paul,

My advice would be to keep the SIM card in the car and not transfer it to a mobile device (or any other device for that matter), just in case this text and charge were to re-occur if inserted into a different device that has McAfee installed onto it.

- Rebeka