cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using mobile in Thailand

Nickelarse
Dabbler

Using mobile in Thailand

Arrived in Thailand 3 days ago and silly me I left data roaming switched on. However being an ex BT employèe I am fully aware of this and was going to disable it once i was on a network. BUT my mobile which is a Samsung galaxy s5 gave me all indications it was NOT connected to a network and it said same when I try to make a call. There were no indicators at the top of the screen to say it was however I soon reached my pre set cap of £10. Thank goodness I set it low! I got this refunded on a web chat with Plusnet but stilll my phone wont connect for voice calls. Funny how it managed to connect for data with no problem, at £8 per Mb. I have tried manual connect but all are unavailable. I am told by plusnet that it is enabled for voice roaming. Can anyone help solve this before we leave next Weds?

Thanks in advance. 

Nick. 

3 REPLIES 3
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Using mobile in Thailand

Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking the time out to get in touch with us.

I completely understand your frustrations with regards to roaming in Thailand however, we cannot guarantee service availability abroad. We do advise that you can try the following troubleshooting steps:

> Re-booting your handset

• Turn the handset off
  • Remove the SIM card
  • Leave it for a couple of minutes
  • Replace the SIM card
  • Turn the handset on

This will refresh the signal and attempt to re-establish a connection with the local network.

> Manually connecting to a network

We do advise that you may need to manually search for a local network and attempt to connect this way. All handsets vary dependant on their make and model however, a general search on an Android handset would be:

• From the home screen, tap and drag the Notifications bar downwards.
  • Tap the Settings icon.
  • Scroll to and tap More networks.
  • Tap Mobile networks.
  • Tap Network operators. If prompted tap OK.
  • Tap the required network.

> Trying the SIM in another handset

If possible, try using a friend/family members handset that is unlocked to all networks to see if the SIM has any network connectivity in an entirely different device.

- Rebeka 

Nickelarse
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Rebeka but I have tried all of these suggestions. What I do find extremely annoying is the fact that although you say PN cannot guarantee service availability abroad, my mobile was able to send data at considerable cost but in background, (I was not surfing or emailing at the time so it was probably apps updating ) without me knowing and within minutes of my arrival. So which network was used for this and why cant i use this network for voice?  Till now no one has explained this to me which I find odd.

Regards

Nick. 

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

I completely understand your frustration Nick however, If you've been connected abroad, we cannot investigate if there is an issue with their local network. 

We have taken a look into our agreement with Thailand and I can assure you that there are no issues that could be affecting this from our end. If you're experiencing issues whilst connected, this could be in relation to the local network itself and this is something we have no control over. 

- Rebeka