Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable SMS reception

FIXED
nonplusme
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Unreliable SMS reception

I have two banks which require 2FA by SMS to log in. 

Both have been unreliable recently. Last time both required 3 log in attempts before an SMS was received.

Just tried both again got the SMS on second attempt from one and first attempt from the other. 

I have two plusnet numbers and SMS between them seems much more (almost 100%) reliable. 

Anyone else have similar experience?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unreliable SMS reception

Good afternoon  nonplusme

I bank with Nationwide Building Society and the one time access code which is sent by text message to my PlusNet mobile takes longer to arrive  than it used too

HD

nonplusme
Grafter

Fix

After more investigation it looks like the intelligent battery saving features of a new phone were shutting down background operation of the SMS app preventing message reception. I was still getting messages with the app closed so it continued running the the background for at least a while which confused the issue.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Is it an iPhone?

Mine keeps treating me like I am a Sun reader, thinks it knows better than me and nagging it is shutting down apps which use a lot of battery.

I've ignored it so far, as it has not caused me any hassle yet - but I will keep an eye on it. If it does start causing me grief then I will do something about it I suppose.

nonplusme
Grafter

Not iPhone.

Xiaomi running android 10/MIUI 12. I got sick of the google messaging app nagging me to install calling features so I removed it and let Signal messenger handle SMSs instead. The recommended MIUI 'intelligent' battery saving option wasn't intelligent enough to know Signal needs to be left in the background to receive SMSs.

Talking of Signal messenger. Elon Musk tweeted use signal and the stock of a completely unrelated company called Signal Advance rose by 480%. Investors are dumb and Musk is of course right, everyone should ditch Whatsapp.