Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unprovisioned SIM card

FIXED
RM1
Grafter

Unprovisioned SIM card

Is it possible to be sent an unprovisioned SIM card, if so, what are the charges and process for doing this? The reason I ask is in the unfortunate event of having a phone stolen, I could ring up with the IMSI and get up and running almost immediately again without having to wait for the SIM to arrive. e.g. with accident prone family members on GiffGaff, I've been able to use one of their spare PAYG SIMs they sent, plug the IMSI into the website and there's been minimal delay getting them reconnected (with a spare phone); I'm looking for a similar solution on Plusnet.
5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Unprovisioned SIM card

Hi there.

I've asked the relevant team to see if this is something we can do

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi RM1 

The problem is you can only obtain a PlusNet sim when you sign up for a 30 day contract

With most other providers you can obtain a free sim card or purchase one for 99p even before you start either a contract or PAYG

Or if you lose your phone  damage your existing  or need a different a different six sim you can obtain a replacement from a shop EE O2 Three Vodaphone Tesco Asda etc etc not wait for a replacement to be posted

I do not think PlusNet will every sent out sim cards which may not every be used and because if a replacement is every needed they charge £3.50 even if its a nano sim for a new phone

You get what you pay for limited coverage not full EE service coverage 5 digit short code texts things you only find in the small print or when you try to use them.

Brian A 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

We've got a reply back from our operations team regarding this.

Unfortunately we can't send out an unprovisioned SIM card. Once we post out a new SIM we have to link it to the account, and as soon as the new one is sent out it can cause problems with the old SIM which effectively means that you can't have one as a spare.

Apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RM1
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies. I've marked it as fixed as, while not ideal, it seems like a comprehensive/correct answer.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet