Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking mobile phone.

FIXED
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Unlocking mobile phone.

I was considering ordering Plusnet sim but my phone is Vodaphone. Now, I was told by Vodaphone that if I was to get my phone unlocked, it would void any warranty left on it. Is this right?..or are they just saying that to try and keep me with them?

Thanks for any answers/comments.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
17 REPLIES 17
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Unlocking mobile phone.

Fix

I don't know about invalidating you warranty but at a guess I'd say you're being fed a little BS by Vodafone.

Most mobile phone providers should have abolished the unfair practice of charging unlock fees thanks to Which?

See this article: http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/mobile-phone-deals/charges-unlocking-mobiles-switching/

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

I thought the same thing, but Vodaphone seem to have a mind of their own, otherwise why do other mobile operators offer sim-only deals?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

That's not true at all, especially if you pay for an unlock code from Vodafone themselves as it won't override your customer rights.

Out of interest what is the phone?

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Phone is Sony Xperia E5.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Depending on how long you have to run on the warranty vs the cost from VP against the cost from ebay I comes down to choice.

Personally I always unlock my phones, and mifi dongles.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Vodafone used to be one of the good ones. Where you could get any mobile as long as it was over a year old unlocked for free. All you needed was to get any voda sim and register it on their web site - then a quick email unlock code request.

I had dozens unlocked until they joined the rest of the sorry lot in charging for unlocking as well as adding many conditions.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Followed what it said to do, apparently phone cannot be unlocked, Sad

Thanks for the link anyway. Cool_smiley

Colin_Maybe
Pro

@Pete11

Really? Any particular reason given?

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

No reason given. Huh

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Pete11

Have you tried a Google search? It does reveal plenty of hits with suggestions for unlocking. I unlocked my own phone soon after I got it which was relatively simple and didn't involve paying anything for any dodgy software. I might be wrong but I seem to remember some sites need to know your IMEI number before an unlock code can be provided but then I also read you should never reveal your IMEI number to someone else. I'm not a phone geek so I'm probably wrong.., best to check the guys here or elsewhere.

Here's what I found on Google:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=sony+xperia+e5+unlock...

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Part of the problem is that unlocking Sony phones requires the mobile operators to contact Sony direct, in contrast to most other manufacturers. Searching on Google will more than likely result in failure for this reason, and if you are lucky it won't cost you. My suggestion is try again with Vodafone in the hope you get someone who actually can help, if not try Sony directly telling them that Vodafone say they cannot unlock the phone.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Already done that one too...here's what I get..

o Network 0 -  If there is a 0 beside the category where a lock exists, then it means that your phone is hard locked and you can't unlock it by code.

Mine has a zero. Undecided

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Pete11

I'm not promising anything but I do have several contacts at Sony who I could ask. I've been a member of their forums for a few years now so there's bound to be someone with an answer. Leave it with me and I'll send a few PM's.