Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use mobile data when abroad on my iphone5

FIXED
philsussex
Hooked

Unable to use mobile data when abroad on my iphone5

Used mobile data fine last year when in france, but this year have been to Majorca and currently in France and cannot access mobile data.

Have contacted PlusNet help several times but the fixes suggested such as turn off wi and mobile data, turn airplane mode on and off don't work. Have tried resetting networks, have done a factory reset on phone, removed sim, tried different networks.

I'm then told PlusNet can't guarantee mobile data access, but it did work previously. The calls and texts are fine, and 3 g shows up at top of screen. Mobile hotspot just goes round and round.

do plusnet have preferred carrier in france?

can anyone tell me how to manually rest apn on iphone5, I have seen some youtube videos on this o but can't seem to open up drop downs.

Any help appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Re: Unable to use mobile data when abroad on my iphone5

Hello @philsussex I do apologise that you are having difficulties using your mobile data service whilst you are in France.

I would have also advised for you to manually reset your Access Point Network. In France, there are three carrier providers our SIM can register too:- Bouygues Telecom, SFR France and Vini S.A.S

I have attempted to locate how you can manually reset your Access Point on an iPhone device, I have found this video on YouTube.

This is the only information I was able to obtain. Other than that after you have reset your APN, you can manually search a new one with the instructions below:-

iPhone

Go to Settings > Mobile or Cellular > Mobile Data Network or Cellular Data Network > Access Point Names > Menu > New APN.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to get back in touch with us.

Kind regards.

philsussex
Hooked

Thanks for your reply, after another4 chats with plusnet technical I still cannot connect to data and am told time after time " we can't guarantee coverage abroad" it used to work last year, it's not a local mast issue as have tried as we travelled through france (1000km) and 4 different operators. At Plusnets suggestion spoke to apple, who tested handset and say there is no issue. Is anyone else having issues this year? Have requested another sim, but they wont send abroad-I'm here for 4 months so that's no very helpful!!!! think I'll have to change away from plusnet to a more reliable and helpful provider 

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

No problem @philsussex,

Although you have had Apple check over the handset, are you able to test the SIM card in another handset just to be completely certain that the issue isn't the handset.

I'm afraid it's simply not an option for us to send the SIM to another location and it can only be sent to the address on the account. While I would imagine this has already been checked by this point but feel free to send me the details below by private message so we can check to ensure data roaming is enabled on your account and that nothing else would be causing your SIM to fail to connect.

- The account/mobile number

- Your full name

- Your full address including postcode

- Written confirmation that you are the account holder

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
philsussex
Hooked

An Update:

After chatting with help on line and by phone I was again told that problem must be with my phone or the local signa(although on each of at least 6 occasions I asked if data roaming was enabled-and was told this is automatic!). Thank goodness I used the Community here, much more helpful, and they found out that although I was showing enabled for some reason deeper in the system, data abroad was barred! They fixed it for me a big thanks. So if anyone is having similar problems ask them to try this. Please feel free to private message if you want more info.

Philsussex 

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @philsussex.

I do apologise for the issues you have had with your mobile service abroad, however I am pleased to hear it now seems to have been fixed for you.

If you do experience any further issues, just let us know and we can look into this further for you.

Regards

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
PeterCh

I have precisely the same issue. No data in Spain in May and now no data in France. Had all the same responses as you. They say my account is set up correctly to allow me to use data while roaming. My phone and SIM all look absolutely right but no French network will give me any data access. (calls and texts are fine)

I have put the SIM in an old Samsung S? and get a 3G connection (all it can do) with network shown as Orange - Plusnet.

When I put the SIM back in My Nokia 5 (Android 9) it shows network as Orange - EE (not Plusnet) and I get no data of any sort.

Phil, Sorry I can't PM - not enough posts.

Can you give me any further info on where or what the issue was.

Yesterday, finally, one of the Customer Service crew said they would put it to the back office for further investigation and I am waiting for a response early next week. Would really like to get it sorted while I am away. Otherwise I will have no confidence for the next time I am travelling

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@PeterCh 

Phil, Sorry I can't PM - not enough posts.

You'll find you can now...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeterCh

Thanks

philsussex
Hooked

Hi, this is the extract from their message to me

"have contacted a member of our mobile operations team and they have advised that although EU data is showing as active on the front of your account, a back-end system is showing it as 'barred'. At the time of speaking to them the administrator who has access to make changes to the system was out of office therefore, I sent an email to them in anticipation of you passing our data protection checks."

try messaging Jubby or Gandalf they are on the community help team and know their stuff

Hope this helps and that you get your data back.

Note to PlusNet: obviously you have script of things to try, resets, different operator etc etc, but when all else fails, why not add this additional check as a norm rather than something that has to be begged for!

Regards

Phil

PeterCh

Phil, Thanks for the information and contacts. It is very useful to know there may be a solution.

Will message one  of them and see if they can help.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @PeterCh,

Can you let us know here once you've sent that PM.

In your PM can you make sure you include:

You mobile number.

The full name on the account. 

The full address and postcode on the account, and;

Confirm that you're the account holder.

PeterCh

PM sent to Jolo and Gandalf 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks. We'll respond shortly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet