cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive texts from certain numbers

rssmith1
Hooked

Unable to receive texts from certain numbers

Since joining PN a month ago, I have been unable to receive texts from 3 of my contacts. They can receive my texts and we can call each other. Coincidentally all 3 are on the TPO network. I am able to receive texts from anybody else. To date PN have not been able to resolve this. Has anybody else experienced anything like this or have any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Unable to receive texts from certain numbers

@rssmith1 wrote:
Has anybody else experienced anything like this or have any suggestions?

I don't have suggestions but yes, I've experienced this. I have to relay text messages from my sister to my brother as he can't receive her texts (although her phone claims they are delivered). Oddly, he can reply direct and she receives them and each can call the other so you're not alone.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
rssmith1
Hooked

Very interesting, thanks for the post. Are you and your siblings all on Plusnet? They are still looking into this for me and I have submitted the numbers affected a second time. A month in and still no solution!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@rssmith1 did you port your number into Plusnet ? and if so, from which network ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rssmith1
Hooked

Yes, I ported my number in from Freedompop which was a very short, unsuccessful stay. However, before that I was with TPO, which all 3 numbers I can't receive texts from are with. Whether this is just a coincidence remains to be seen.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I suspect it's a partial porting problem. When numbers are ported to a new network, the original network is still involved in the correct routing of calls etc to the new network. I suspect that in your case the port has not completed correctly and the original network is not routing the texts correctly. Why this should affect only texts and not calls as well is confusing!

My guess is that it's going to take PlusNet some considerable time to sort out, as porting is a largely manual process.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rssmith1
Hooked

Yes, this sounds extremely plausible and something I hadn't considered. Now you mention it, I believe the problem only started once my number was ported in as I'm sure I remember receiving a text from one of the effected numbers on the original PN number.

It's been a while so far and PN have already closed the case as resolved once, however, sadly it isn't.

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

Sorry to hear your issues are still ongoing rssmith1.

If you could send me a PM with some details (full name and address are good starting points) I can get the ball rolling with investigating this and getting a fix implemented for you.