cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to gain internet access with new Plusnet SIM

tongu05
Hooked

Unable to gain internet access with new Plusnet SIM

Based on other posts, this seems to be a major problem with PlusNet SIMs. However, my circumstances are a little different, so here goes. I have just taken delivery of a new PlusNet SIM on a SIM only deal that provides voice calls, texts and data. I currently use a Three SIM, which I would hope to later port the number of, by getting a PAC code but that is for the future. I have two mobile phones (both 3G devices) and the Three SIM gets used in both of them, from time to time. Both phones will access the internet, no problem, with the Three SIM. Neither phone will access the internet with the new PlusNet SIM, although both will do voice calls and texts with the PlusNet SIM. I have flipped both SIMs in both phones, both yesterday and today, at four different, city centre, geographical locations and the result is the same - 100% success with internet access with the Three SIM and 0% success with internet access with the PlusNet SIM. 

Can I ask, as the PlusNet SIM is a 4G SIM whereas the Three SIM is quite old and is a 3G SIM, whether PlusNet 4G SIMs are backwards compatible with 3G phones, as, if they are not, this could be the problem? Can I also ask if PlusNet operates a policy whereby, as far as internet access is concerned,  it only accepts phone handsets (Make and Model) that are on an approved list that it maintains? If there is such a policy and such a list in existence, then this could be the problem, as it could be that neither of my phones are on the list.

Otherwise, any suggestions please?  

7 REPLIES 7
Dirkdiggler
Grafter

Re: Unable to gain internet access with new Plusnet SIM

Im in a similar situation to you in that my plusnet sim only works for sms and calls (its like being back in 1997!!). Internet/whatsapp and data do not work.. Ive got no data. In my case I was on BT mobile. I switched sims over. 4g worked fine
I did about 100mb of speedtests on both sims. Then I ported my number. Since then it hasnt worked for data at all anywhere. Ive rang retentions /sales on 500. They are sending me out another sim and Ive got my pac so Im ready to leave in a shot if it doesnt work. I really dont understand how they can get it so wrong with the same problem.
The thing that amused me earlier was I realised that I was billed for 9£ on 2nd of Nov. This for service between 1st oct and 31st. Thats interesting because I didnt order the sim until 730pm on the 31st and did not receive it until the 2nd Nov. So Ive been billed for a month when I didnt even have access to a plusnet sim!

I doubt your issue is a phone one. Its a plusnet sim issue. There are just too many instances of this happening.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hi @tongu05, I am sorry to read this and apologise for the frustration caused to you. Could you PM with your full address with postcode, full name and plusnet mobile number so I can investigate this further. - Maddy

tongu05
Hooked

Hello Maddy,

Thank you for your message. How do I send you a personal message, as obviously I cannot provide the information you are asking for over the forum?

tongu05

Dirkdiggler
Grafter

Tongu05 . In the meantime while you wait for Maddy try resetting your APN again. I did this again last night on my 1st sim and it has resolved the issue (& i had tried this before to no avail!). It now has working internet (the 2nd sim is another story).
Give them a ring on 500. Ive seen quite a few people moaning about long wait times but when ive called most Ive waited is 5 mins!
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @tongu05, you should be able to click on my icon or name and there should be an option for your to private message me on the right hand side of the page.

tongu05
Hooked

Thank you for your message. I had, of course, reset the Access Point Name several times during my own attempts to sort this out, as this is often the issue with problems such as I am experiencing. However, each time that I did this it was of no avail. Nevertheless, at you suggestion, I did it again this morning - but still no luck I'm afraid! 

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that @tongu05, I have now replied via PM.