Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to call/message in Greece

FIXED
JayAyBee
Fixes: 1

Unable to call/message in Greece

Hi,
I’m holidaying in Greece. Since my arrival 3 days ago, I’ve not been able to call or send messages (or receive calls/messages). I’m also unable to access data roaming.

I have strong connection to the local networks (I’ve tried both COSMOTE and WIND), however as soon as I attempt to make a call, the signal drops from 4 bars to 1 and the call fails. Once the attempt finishes, the signal reverts to 4 bars. This issue is similar to the one described here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Lost-in-Greece-with-no-Data-Roaming/td-p/1565053

I’ve tried:
1) Switching to a different network
2) Restarting the phone
3) Removing and reinserting the SIM

My friends have no issues connecting to and using the local networks. I used up my £10 SmartCap earlier in the month, however I don’t think this should matter as I’m in the EU and still have minutes/data left on my normal allowance.

Any suggestions? A quick Google suggests that this is a recurring issue in Greece for Plusnet customers - if so, I’d probably have to consider a different provider (getting locked out of my phone when abroad isn’t great!)

Thanks for any suggestions!
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Unable to call/message in Greece

I have strong connection to the local networks (I’ve tried both COSMOTE and WIND), however as soon as I attempt to make a call, the signal drops from 4 bars to 1 and the call fails. Once the attempt finishes, the signal reverts to 4 bars. 

that sounds like you've got good 4g coverage but poor 3g. Since Plusnet do not support 4g calling ( Volte ) the phone must revert to 3g when trying to call. Some providers are shutting down their 3g networks in some countries. I believe Vidafone shut theirs down in Greece in June last year. Until Plusnet provide support for Volte it's going to be an increasing problem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JayAyBee

Ah I see, that’s not ideal. Fortunately I’m on a SIM-only monthly rolling contract so I’ll have to switch to a different provider going forward (being without a functional phone isn’t viable!) Thanks for the help.
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

A work-around I use is to have a skype account and install the skype app - that does allow calls over 4G or WiFi. Calls are a few pence a minute rather than free from your inclusive minutes, but at least it works! 

You can also use a skype account from a computer so you don't even need a phone.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Hey there @JayAyBee 

Sorry to hear it's not working. Can you send across your mobile number via PM please and I will see what's happening?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
JayAyBee

Fix
Hi Will,
Thanks for reaching out. Good news: my data allowance (including Smartcap) refreshed a couple of days ago and I can now use my phone for all purposes!

Clearly the issue was due to the exhaustion of my Smartcap, which is a bit surprising as my understanding is that phone usage in Greece does not use up this allowance. Anyway, all sorted Smiley
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Awesome, that's what we like to hear, have a great rest of the holiday. If you need anything you know where we are Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
LynetteC99
Dabbler

Hi Will - I see you have helped a user get connected in Greece
I have been trying to get help to have service in Tobago. Adam walker was helping but has stopped replying, PLEASE can you help urgently! I have to have mobile service today or I cannot restore my Apple ID. I have tried everything. I can see the local services Digicel - but cannot connect to it. I’m on data roaming and I’ve tried taking sim out and replacing. I am one of those caught up in the failure by Plusnet to collect the DD on 23 Dec so wondered if this is the reason?? Please someone help
Me!!!
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hey there @LynetteX99 I hope you're having a great holiday so far despite the issues.

Unfortunately Tobago isn't in the Roam Like at Home package and we can't guarantee service over there. I know this is a royal pain. Are the people with you on different networks or?

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
LynetteC99
Dabbler

I’m here with my husband who is on the same Plusnet account as me.
All other English and international guests here have access to Digicel from their UK phone packages so the local masts are working
You should add Tobago to the list of countries where Plusnet mobiles don’t work.
- it is not listed as a country where Plusnet/EE doesn’t work.
Adam thought it might be an international setting on my account that is not working?
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just sent a PM Smiley

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team