Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

FIXED
hokers
Dabbler

Re: Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

OK makes sense now - Plusnet networks team won't be able to see in real time what quality of service their users are getting because it's on the local roaming partner's network.

What they will get is a report at the end of the month from that partner showing how many of their customers roamed onto their network and how much the total amount of calls/texts/data they used (and hence what they owe them). But if they can identify someone in country right now, they can validate their roaming settings from their end and query it with the partner to find out what is wrong - this is probably going to relate to the porting process having failed for that area only.

djbucko2009
Hooked

Glad this thread exists. I was in Germany from 11th June to 14th June, back and forth between Ulm and Stuttgart, I wasn't able to access 4g on any occasion, the best I got was EDGE which, as other people have noted, is virtually the same as having no data at all.

I had no problems roaming using this same device when with Three, and I was able to successfully access roaming 4g when inserting my friend's EE sim card as a test.

I'm an existing Plusnet broadband customer and I switched to Plusnet mobile from Three in April, the main differentiator being Plusnet's "Roam Like at Home" feature. Based on all the forum threads and posts dating back to 2019, this is clearly a long term fundamental issue which still hasn't been resolved. A couple of points I'd make:

• Previously it's been suggested that this is an issue affecting iPhones, but this clearly isn't the case. I can confirm from my own experience with my Google Pixel 4a, and the countless others with Android devices, that this doesn't appear to be a device issue.
  • The T&Cs stating "When using our service outside of the UK, we can’t be responsible for the quality and coverage....", is obviously designed for situations where the cause of the inability to access data is local outages or services limited due to poor infrastructure. This case is different - it seems likely we're talking about a deep technical issue in the way roaming has been set up for Plusnet, which unfortunately constitutes a failure by Plusnet to provide their "Roam Like at Home" service as per the service agreement, and is in substance a breach of contract (Plusnet should allow those under contract to leave without penalty if they wish to).

I'm returning to Germany in a few weeks, and if I experience the same issue again I will be requesting to be released from my contract.

djbucko2009
Hooked

.... and just so I can send PMs, here is some other info if anyone's interested:

Account ref/mobile number: 07841******              (Originally Telefonica (O2) from 2004)

Dates you were away: 11/06/2022 - 14/06/2022

Issue that occurred: Unable to access 4G

Make and model of handset: Google Pixel 4a

Software version: Android 12 SQ3A.220605.009.A1

bestregards

Hi

1. I agree with whoever said plusnet will lose customers if this is not fixed, we are due to go back to Italy in August and will change provider before then if this is not rectified.

2. We had the same problem as in Italy at the eurotunnel terminal Calais, I got orange 4g my wife got orange 3g. May I suggest plusnet put one of their staff on a eurostar train to Calais with a selection of phones and sims and do their testing/tracing.

3. It has been mentioned a lot about the origin of the mobile number being the cause. As an alternative perhaps it could be the contract plan type with plusnet. Mine is a monthly 4g contract with 4.5gb of data whereas my wife's is a monthly 4g contract with 12gb of data. Perhaps plusnet is restricting high data users, possibly to save some money?

Chrish28

I ditched Plusnet and went with Smarty, haven't tried roaming yet but should be OK as it is basically Three.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Smarty also provide 4G and WiFi calling.
The 4G calling allows phones to connect to the lower frequnecy band which has much better UK coverage.
Plusnet mobile do not support these features.
arkitect
Dabbler

Smarty (and GiffGaff) also do 5G if you get coverage.

Plusnet is unfortunately getting less attractive.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

alexpres
Dabbler

@Townman I joined PlusNet Mobile back in January / February due to it's "Roam Like at Home".  I was in Andorra (via France) in March 2022 and couldn't get better connectivity than 3G.  I've just been on a business trip 20-22 June 2022 to Belgium (again, via France).  Same 3G-only functionality.  4G works perfectly the moment I'm back in the UK.

My number starts 079737, which Uboss tells me is "EE Limited (Orange)" since 1 Oct 1998.  It was in fact late October 1995 when I got this number on the Orange network.   My phone is an iPhone 11 running the latest firmware and "Network Provider" being "EE 50.0".

With 3G being removed to free up radio bandwidth for 4G & 5G, it is really important that a solution is found for this issue.

Any thoughts?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hiya @alexpres

I'm really sorry to hear you are having issues again while on holiday, this is the last thing you need.  I really would like to check your account and investigate this further, do you mind PM'ing me your mobile number and full name? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
alexpres
Dabbler

@SammyM I'd love to share details.  Any chance that you could enable PM-ing for me please?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

It should let you now, if you want to try again @alexpres Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @alexpres

It was good to chat with you yesterday - it’s a small world!!

It was interesting to learn that you had similar issues with the same number when with another MNVO.

I hope that you can now PM the essential information to Plusnet support. The forthcoming demise of the 3G spectrum is indeed of some marked concern, particularly as Plusnet’s MNVO provisions do not offer access to the 4G 800MHz band.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Coffeeking
Grafter

This continues to be a problem. I flew to France and had to use a non preferred network (deselect auto network finding, run through all available ones). Flew back to uk, all is fine, flew back to Holland, only works on tmobile 3g, and that drops out about once an hour.
alexpres
Dabbler

Hi @Townman

I've sent my details to @SammyM.   I need to follow up with additional details from some more of my friends [with their permission] who (a) have the same problem; and (b) don't have the same problem.  A number of us moved to PlusNet Mobile due to the "Roam like at home" service and including Andorra in that, where we went on holiday in March 2022.  Some were already on PlusNet mobile too.

The MVNO bit is subjective and relies on my memory being correct.  Obviously, travel has been restricted in recent years.  However in December 2019 when I was on Virgin Mobile (which was on EE at the time; now moved to Vodafone), I seem to have a vague recollection that I only got 3G connectivity.  I've checked through all my photos and sadly can't find any evidence either way.  I therefore can't include this as potential evidence to the investigation.

alexpres
Dabbler

Actually... no... I remember a business trip in June 2019 to Belgium when I definitely only got 3G the whole time.

I can't remember whether 4G worked in France or not - we travelled to Belgium via Le Shuttle.