cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

FIXED
ZK

Re: Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

I'm back in the Czech Republic, it is still the same. The phone (iPhone 11 Pro) only connects to 2G (EDGE), will not ever connect to 4G/LTE. Since there has been no 3G coverage in this country since last autumn, I am stuck on 2G. @plusnet support line could not understand what the issue is and on this forum the only reply I got was that Terms & Conditions do not guarantee any Gs and left it at that. No interest that while the data roaming formally "works" the speed is so slow (GPRS/EDGE) that it is practically unusable. Can't get past the first line support staff, if anyone from @plusnet is reading this, are you able to pass this issue to your seniors please?

tamarin64
Dabbler

Hi @ZK, thanks for replying!

I am hoping that some kind of action is taken. I am very disappointed that it seems that the issue is not even being investigated. I wouldn’t complain if this was one network in one country, but evidently 4G roaming is completely broken for many people. This is a serious issue and puts into question the functionality of the roaming service, which is part of everyone’s package.

@Gandalf would you be able to look into this please and escalate to the second and third line technical support teams? 

KeithLa

I also can’t get 4g in France only 3g despite others in the group I was traveling with getting 4g with the same operator OrangeF.

Phoned PlusNet technical support from France, I don’t think the person I talked to knew what he was doing, he was just reading from a script and consulting with colleagues, told me to reset network connections, DONT do it, it did not help and has deleted all my WiFi passwords and Bluetooth connections, also got the same excuses about PlusNet having no control over the masts in France.

Phoned tech support again when I got home eventually managed to talk to a supervisor who seemed totally unaware of the problem I was having and totally unaware that others were having the same problems, obviously they don’t read these forums.

Promised a quick resolution, after 3 days no response so as my 30 day term was ending I have ditched PlusNet as I have no confidence that they can or are interested in fixing the problem.

smart

Most annoyingly, I have the same issue in Germany: 4G is not working on my plusNet sim (2g is connecting but useless nowadays) but my daughter who is in the same places at the same time always has a working O2 4G connection through her plusNet SIM.
For me, the 4g option is not even connecting manually to any of the three providers (o2, Vodafone, Telekom).
Customer services said it should all be working but they can't guarantee service levels in other countries but will try to reset settings for me. That never changes anything. I just wonder what is causing this difference in connectivity for the different SIM cards.
Emsorc
Hooked

Exactly the same issue you and your daughter have that my husband and I have. I have full service, no issues. My husband only has 2G. Both with Plusnet. Same phones.
It's only in Germany. My husband travels a lot and has no issues anywhere else.
We've tried his SIM manual connection to the O2 DE network, but it's still only 2G.
Spoken to Plusnet so many times but they seem equally baffled and always give the response of they are not responsible for overseas service providers.
No idea what the solution is, other than to change network provider when travelling in Germany.
Chrish28

Just got back from Spain and unable to access 4G services.  H+ on Orange or Movistar but when trying to connect to their 4G services no luck.  Travelled over 350 miles within Spain -  so not an issue with masts etc.  Back home and spoke to support and they said that most likely that the local networks prioritise their customers over plusnet customers at busy times.  Tried a Giff Gaff SIM (o2) and this worked perfectly - only been with plusnet mobile for a month and think that I might move my main number to Giff Gaff if this can't be resolved, as eventually all of the network providers will be phasing out 3G. 

ZK

@smart , @Emsorc : I have the same issue in the Czech Republic - 2G only. It is interesting to hear you were with others on Plusnet and they got 4G. Can I just check whether you moved your number to Plusnet from another (UK) network? I ported from EE. Maybe those who port in get a different setup, it would explain why some customers have issues with 4G roaming whilst others don't. Clutching at straws here. 🙂

tamarin64
Dabbler

That is an interesting theory @ZK , I had also ported from EE in December.

KeithLa

I ported in from Vodafone a couple of months ago. (my problem was in France see earlier post)

Hopefully the problem is solved for me as I have moved to EE but of course you cant check until you go abroad again !

And then its too late

Emsorc
Hooked

Hi ZK,
My husband and I have been with Plusnet for about 3/4 years. We were both O2 previously. We are both on the same plan and changed at the same time.
The only thing I can think that's any different is I kept my number and ported my number from O2 (and before that EE.) My husband took a new number when we went to Plusnet.
I never have a problem with the service abroad. My husband travels around Europe for work. It's just Germany, every time.
It's possibly (a theory), as my number originally came from one of the main mobile phone providers is this why my phone works? Plusnet 'piggyback' off EE, is it possible these numbers have lower priority on the network. I would suggest my husband buys a SIM from one of the main mobile providers and then ports it to Plusnet but can't see him going to all that trouble.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Emsorc wrote:
I can definitely confirm Germany has 4G as it works for me. I believe I am always connected to O2 DE. My husband is always connected to a LTE version, I think EE. If we manually try and change his connection to O2 the option is greyed out.
He's only offered LTE. Plusnet when we've called them from Germany have been mystified about the problem.

@Emsorc 

Your observations give rise to numerous questions - one of which is to do with the original provider of your phone numbers - were they both on the same original MNO?

Might you provide the first 5 digits of both numbers, indicating which does and does not work.

I have a theory, which might be worth "kicking".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tamarin64
Dabbler

I am again in Czech Republic and the problem remains unsolved Sad

@Townman I can provide my first 5 digits, it is a number ported from EE: 074326
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @tamarin64

If you can private message me your full name and mobile number, I'll be happy to raise this to our second line support team to take a closer look for you. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@tamarin64 wrote:

@Townman I can provide my first 5 digits, it is a number ported from EE: 074326

Range holder was T-Mobile.  Have you tried to connect to the T-Mobile network manually in the Czech Republic?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tamarin64
Dabbler

@Townman I tried that to connect to T-Mobile CZ and unfortunately it does not seem to work. I am currently automatically connected to O2 and was previously able to connect to Vodafone. Refer to my previous post for various networks I’ve tried in the countries I’ve been to.

@Gandalf sure, thank you for having a look at this, will DM details shortly.