cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to 'Tether' with PlusNet SIM

tongu05
Hooked

Unable to 'Tether' with PlusNet SIM

I have recently acquired a PlusNet SIM, to replace my existing one that uses the Three network. Roughly two thirds of the mobile data that I access is done via my laptop and my tablet, whilst tethered to my mobile phone, with the remaining third being accessed by the phone itself. Hence a SIM that is incapable of tethering is useless to me.

PlusNet advertise their SIMs as allowing tethering but the SIM which they have sent me will not permit it. My mobile phone is setting up a wireless hotspot OK and other devices, like my laptop and tablet, can log onto the network thus created but these devices are denied internet access. I have never had this problem with my Three SIM - Three also advertise their SIMs as permitting tethering. Right from day one, without any adjustments to my phone, my Three SIM allowed tethering.

My phone uses the Android 6 operating system and I have discovered, from posts on other sites, that this operating system defaults to the blocking of tethering. SIM providers who accept tethering (like both PlusNet and Three) should provide users with a SIM that has firmware to automatically move the phone's tethering settings from the default position to the tethering enabled situation. Three clearly did this. As I have said, I have never had any problem with my Three SIM and it still continues to tether OK when I put the Three SIM back into my phone - I have both SIMs at the moment, thank goodness! However, it seems that PlusNet have provided me with a SIM without such firmware and, furthermore, they refuse to help in any way to sort out the problem, even though, as I say, they manifestly permit tethering and, indeed, solicit business on this basis through their advertisements - apparently as long as the user can sort out how to access the feature themselves!! The legality of this stance is, in my view questionable but that might be for another day. At the moment, I want to pursue a possible alternative solution.

Firstly, I would like to hear from anyone else who has been unable to access tethering with a PlusNet SIM and what you did about it, particularly if you found a solution to the problem. Please give details of the solution.

Secondly, I have read, again from posts on other sites, that it is comparatively easy for a phone owner to manually switch the tethering feature on the phone away from its default position and thus enable tethering. This feature would then work with all SIMs inserted into the phone that had a data facility. The procedure apparently involves connecting the phone to a PC and then, by using an Android Debug Bridge command, to enable tethering on the phone. I would like to hear from anyone who has used this methodology successfully, as I would need more details on how to do it than I currently have.

I thank in advance anyone who is able to help - otherwise I am afraid that it will have to be ditch PlusNet and back to Three!         

8 REPLIES 8
pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Unable to 'Tether' with PlusNet SIM

I've never had problems tethering with Plusnet and my phone has Android 6 (Sony Xperia). Never had to change any special settings. What phone are you using? Perhaps you have to follow the ADB procedure.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @tongu05,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Please can you advise what mobile device you are using the SIM Card with and whether or not you've been able to try using the SIM Card with another mobile device?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The procedure apparently involves connecting the phone to a PC and then, by using an Android Debug Bridge command, to enable tethering on the phone. I would like to hear from anyone who has used this methodology successfully, as I would need more details on how to do it than I currently have.

I believe you need  to set tether_dun_required to 0. I had to do that on my android phone

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/168033/what-does-tether-dun-required-do

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tongu05
Hooked

I have two mobile phones. My main one is a Chinese import made by a company called BriTech. The model is BriTech Tablet 7.0. It is referred to as a 'tablet' rather than a 'phone' because all devices with a 7 inch screen size or greater are called tablets, whereas anything with a screen size of less than 7 inches is called a phone. These are accepted industry definitions This device runs Android 6 as its operating system. My second phone is a Sony Xperia model ST26a. This device runs Android 4.1.2 as its operating system. Neither phone will permit tethering when the PlusNet SIM is installed but both phones will permit tethering when my Three SIM is installed. 

tongu05
Hooked

My post of 2 minutes ago was in response to the question posed by The MightyAJ 

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @tongu05,

Thank you for confirming the devices that are in use.

I understand that you are unable to use tethering so just to confirm the fundamentals, when you have the SIM card in either phone are you able to use the mobile data on the device?

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
tongu05
Hooked

Dear Jubby (Lewis G),

Thank you for your message. The simple answer to your question is, 'yes', I am now able to access mobile data, via the PlusNet SIM, on both of my devices. The emphasis is on the word 'now'. When I first received the PlusNet SIM, it would not access mobile data. This issue was the subject of an earlier thread on this forum a couple of weeks or so ago. It was eventually solved by me setting up a new APN for the PlusNet SIM on each of the devices. However, there remains the issue of the need to permit data roaming on the relevant device when using the PlusNet SIM, in order to access mobile data. If I turn off data roaming, then the PlusNet SIM then ceases to access mobile data until I turn it on again. This ought not to be the case and, of course, it goes without saying that this is not the case with my Three SIM - THANK GOODNESS FOR THREE, their SIMs actually work!

The roaming issue is compounded, when making voice calls with the PlusNet SIM. Prior to connecting any outgoing call, the SIM reminds me that it is 'roaming' in order to connect the call and asks for my approval to 'roam'. This should not be an issue when located in the UK (as I am). I have noticed that the PlusNet SIM identifies itself in my mobile phone settings as an Orange SIM (and not a PlusNet SIM, or even an EE SIM). As a consequence, I believe that the PlusNet SIM is looking for an Orange network in order to connect the call but obviously canot find one, since Orange no longer exists (having merged with T-Mobile several years ago to form EE).

All in all, this is totally unacceptable. I cannot be expected to have to go to the trouble of authorising roaming, every time I make a UK call. For one thing, I do not know if the 'roaming minutes' that I assume that I am clocking up here will be included in my 'unlimited minutes' tariff, or whether PlusNet will try to charge me extra for them. And yes, before you ask, I do not have to authorise roaming when making voice calls with my Three SIM!

I believe the SIM that I have been supplied with is not fit for purpose. I have asked PlusNet to replace it (via a separate thread of emails to PlusNet itself), so far without any success.

Any help that you can provide me with either the tethering issue, the data roaming issue, or the voice call roaming issue, would be greatly appreciated.          

tongu05

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for the information.

If you can PM us your mobile number or account number along with your full address we can investigate furher

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team