cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer to EE by phone - things to watch out for

robmw

Transfer to EE by phone - things to watch out for

A cautionary tale of my experience if you want to switch to EE and call Plusnet rather than going through the website.

Basically I don't visit the Plusnet website very often so missed the information and deals shown there. Instead I responded to an unexpected email I received earlier this week which only had the Plusnet customer support number. I phoned and said I was interested in switching and was transferred directly to EE after being put on hold for a couple of minutes.

EE offered me a deal which didn't look too bad and the customer services agent said they were aware of the Plusnet deals so I thought I was getting the right one. Only afterwards did I realise I was on a 24 month contract and also getting a multi-line discount as I have another EE account, which was why it looked cheaper than their standard tariffs.

At this point I checked the Plusnet website and after getting a confirmation code to my phone was able to see the deals I should have been offered - less than half of what EE had given me even with their discount!

EE (rightly) told me there was nothing they could do at their end as the deals are only available through Plusnet. They suggested that I could cancel (within my 14 day cooling off period) and restart the whole process but as my number is still being ported I didn't want to take the chance of that going wrong.

So I phoned Plusnet and was told that since I went directly to EE there was nothing that could be done through Plusnet other than cancelling and restarting. You can imagine I was a bit put-out as I had been transferred by Plusnet and naturally assumed this was the correct process!

After 3 phone calls to Plusnet to try to get someone to understand my problem I finally spoke to a very helpful person who said this shouldn't have happened and who was able to see my new EE account directly and after approval got it amended to the deal I should have had in the first place.

Fingers crossed this all works ok as the changes won't be visible on EE until tomorrow and my number port was delayed through an EE problem so won't be sorted until Monday.

The issue seems to be that if calling Plusnet you need to talk to exactly the right team who are handling these transfer deals. Other teams don't seem to have all the details and can't actually access the deals. So make sure to ask first!

Of course going through the website option might be smoother although I've seen posts by people who have had number porting issues when doing everything automatically.

I'll post again once I can see I have the correct deal at EE.

And thanks again to the friendly and very helpful person who got things fixed for me. 👍😊

5 REPLIES 5
pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Transfer to EE by phone - things to watch out for

Going directly through EE doesn't guarantee a smoother process - I was transferring 2 sims both special Plusnet offer but one of them ended up being £23 instead of £6 - took 2 phone calls to EE to sort out and apply discounts, and then I got 2 bills, one for just £6 and the second for £19.19 with multiple discounts and part-charges which I can't get my head around. Hope the third bill will be right.

robmw

Yes, in fact it seems if you do end up going direct you are probably guaranteed not to get the Plusnet deal! What happened to me was that I was redirected by Plusnet to EE while I was on the phone to Plusnet to set up the transfer and I didn't appreciate this might be a problem.

After speaking to the Plusnet customer service person who was able to sort things out for me, it seems there are a specific team who have access to the special EE deals for Plusnet customers. The person I spoke to was able to see my new EE account that was set up with a (much) more expensive deal and was able to correct it there and then after getting approval from their manager as this was a genuine mistake. Before I got this far (3 calls in all) I was told by Plusnet that nothing could be done other than transfer back from EE and start the whole process again.

The intention of my post was to warn people to make very sure that the person they are speaking to has access to the correct deals and can action one for you. If not you are probably speaking to the wrong team and need to be put through to the right one.

In hindsight it's possible that the original Plusnet customer service person who took my call got confused when I mentioned I already had an EE account for another product. Moral - never complicate things with non-relevant info!

Anyway, it appears to be sorted now - I can see my £6 monthly 5GB EE Essentials plan in the EE app. Like you say, I'll need to check I get billed correctly but this is a couple of weeks away and looking in the EE app it seems my plans are now all correctly set up.

I'd forgotten how economical the Plusnet mobile packages were - when you look at the price of many new similar packages with other providers most seem to be around the £20 p/month mark even with 12 and 24 month contracts 🤕.

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@robmw wrote:

Anyway, it appears to be sorted now - I can see my £6 monthly 5GB EE Essentials plan in the EE app. When you look at the price of many new similar packages with other providers you realise how good this is - most seem to be around the £20 month mark even with 12 and 24 month contracts 🤕.

That's not the case, most providers are now offering 30-day sim contracts starting at £5 or £6, so EE is hardly a great deal, unless you are comparing with regular EE deals. Plus, other providers often give you free EU roaming. The only good thing about EE for me, compared to other operators,  is (relatively) good customer service, speeds and perhaps coverage, and the "always on" data.

robmw

I see what you mean looking at the price comparison sites, I was only comparing with the regular deals so I guess £6 would seem good on that basis 😀

I was happy enough with what I was paying to Plusnet but good to know there are other inexpensive deals out there as I'm on a 1 month rolling contract with EE for both accounts. 

I've also been using EE for mobile 4G broadband for a couple of years because of the good coverage and consistent decent speeds.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"most providers are now offering 30-day sim contracts starting at £5 or £6,"

And some are offering XXp and £X.XX for up to 6 months, then £4/£5/£6 per month (rolling), for 5Gb/unlimited/unlimited with wifi calling etc..

The plan I am currently on was £1.95/month for 6 months, now £4.95/month for 5Gb/unlimited/unlimited etc.. Not using EE's network I must add.