cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer to EE. How long until PAC code number transfer is actioned.

FIXED
chroma2000
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Transfer to EE. How long until PAC code number transfer is actioned.

I received the Plusnet email to transfer my mobile plan to EE a few days ago and followed the instructions via the EE link to initiate this and included my PAC code when asked.

I received the new SIM a few days later and yesterday, 29th, removed my Plusnet SIM and activated the new EE SIM. Immediately i did this my Plusnet SIM was deactivated. However 24 hours later my Plusnet phone number has still not been transferred over. How long should I have to wait for this to happen?

13 REPLIES 13
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Transfer to EE. How long until PAC code number transfer is actioned.

Fix

@chroma2000  the PAC process does not happen over a weekend, so you will need to wait, should be transferred sometime Monday, but could go on to Tuesday.

I don't know why it is not more widely known that transfers don't happen over a weekend, even starting the process on a Friday often leads to delays.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@chroma2000 

AIUI, number ports do not take place on weekdays or public holidays? Also, the port can take up to 24 hours - so the unofficial advice is to avoid Fridays as well, (I think?).

The 29th was a Saturday, so in theory your port should happen tomorrow - Monday 31st(?).

chroma2000
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks.

That's helpful. I was worried the system had failed. There is no way to check that it's actually in progress.

I shall remember to avoid weekends in future!

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

@Mustrum wrote:
 the PAC process does not happen over a weekend,

I've just encountered this problem. I'd be interested to know why the PAC process does not happen over a weekend - I'm assuming the process is largely automated, so what manual intervention is required from Mon-Fri workers?

Especially as the Plusnet number is totally deactivated within minutes of submitting a port request - so that part isn't Mon-Fri only.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@corringham   you assume too much.

The process is a lot more complex than perhaps it should be, and involves the original range holder as well as current and new providers.

I assume you did not submit your PAC over the weekend, but on Friday and with the bank holiday you chose the worst time to move - apart from Easter or Christmas.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pac+over+a+weekend&sca_esv=561023782&ei=sBTuZJaVA9CrhbIPk5SfiAY&ve...  

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Mustrum wrote:

I assume you did not submit your PAC over the weekend, but on Friday and with the bank holiday you chose the worst time to move - apart from Easter or Christmas.

Indeed. I wasn't really expecting the port to happen until Today, but I didn't expect the Plusnet SIM to be deactivated almost instantly. As it happened, my Plusnet number became live on the new SIM on Sunday evening.

With the deal I have now (which has fewer minutes/texts/GBs but still more than I use) I will be saving 85% compared to the Plusnet deal (which had become increasingly expensive due to the 3.9%+CPI), so I can live with a bit of inconvenience with the port. 

Norrette
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Looks like I'm in the same boat. Switched sims just after midnight last night (for a clean month-end switch over). Finally got a welcome text advising my direct debit date after I rang my landline this morning. But EE advise they send texts advising the beginning of the port process and again when it's complete. I've have had none of these. And le weekend is looming...
pkw
Aspiring Pro

@Norrette If you switched just after midnight it would be today, so the port may go ahead on next working day, that is Monday.

FWIW, when I switched to EE I never got the "starting port" text, only the second one, and it was same for 2 sims I ported.

Norrette
Rising Star

Thanks @pkw

Have to say it's the 21st century, mobiles have been out for 30+ years, and in the era of two step security, it's just not good enough.
pkw
Aspiring Pro

@Norrette  I agree it's a pain, but since I switched myself rather than via PN (I actually switched to Virgin first then to EE), I was able to keep the old sim working until service was deactivated on old sim, at which point the new one would be active.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Despite being out for 30 years it is surprising that people still don't know not to use their PAC code on a Friday!

That said, you may be lucky and it goes through today?

Has your PN sim gone dead yet?

Have you got your new sim in your phone?

Norrette
Rising Star

Like how often do you think people switch providers? I switched to Plusnet a couple of years ago, and had no issues with porting.

Some poor soul is thinking of cancelling their contract with EE, under the 14 day cooling off, but that would be disastrous as they won't get their number back. So people are trapped. It's appalling.

If it only takes 24 hours midweek, it means something, or someone is missing at weekends.

Most of us are doubly annoyed as switching FROM plusnet is not through choice.
corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Mustrum wrote:

Despite being out for 30 years it is surprising that people still don't know not to use their PAC code on a Friday!

What's surprising is that there is any problem using a PAC code on a Friday (or any other day).