cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The same text to 2 or more people go mms by default - beware

FIXED
mikemoate

The same text to 2 or more people go mms by default - beware

Just a heads up. I was surprised to see a charge on my bill for 2 text messages. Then I noticed that they had been sent as mms. Looked in settings and sure enough group texts do get sent as mms. There is a need to change the setting to sms. Only just joined plusnet mobile, otherwise would of been an expensive new years eve, wonder how many people were caught out by this!

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: The same text to 2 or more people go mms by default - beware

Fix

I’m wary of this too when using a double message as in going over a 160 characters. In the past these SMS’s also got sent as MMS’s at the going rate.

That said, it’s been awhile since I’ve seen this hidden charge but these days for safety, and me not using MMS, I always leave the MMS settings out of the APN set up and this seems to work, well I assume it does as I haven’t been charged for any MMS’s no matter how they come about.Smiley

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: The same text to 2 or more people go mms by default - beware

Hi mikemoate,

Just to clarify, not all texts that are sent to multiple people are converted to MMS, it depends on the handset itself. Your handset may have an option to change this within the settings, however I would be unable to advise on handset settings, you would need to contact your manufacturer. Also, emoji's used in a text can also be converted to a MMS and are charged at 40p per message.

Hope this helps!

- Rebeka Smiley