cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tetherng and Personal Hotspot

Jonjoe12

Tetherng and Personal Hotspot

Hi,

I'm thinking of switching to Plusnet for my mobile, currently use three paying £12 for 3gb of 4g data unlimited texts and calls. see a deal for Plusnet which is the same but with 5gb for only £10.

Can anyone tell me does Plusnet allow tethering and personal hotspot within their data package as some Three deals don't allow this.

Also, what's the network like?

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Tetherng and Personal Hotspot

Yes, tethering is allowed. PN runs on the EE network so should be okay generally. YMMV.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you're using EE now - then you don't need to worry as reception and coverage will be the same.

If not, and this may be a bit exterme - but you could pick up a PAYG EE Sim from a shop, put say £10 on it and test it in your area.

I haven't looked into PlusNet mobile, do they do a SIM only option? If they do and you're not on EE your phone may need unlocking. 

Colin_Maybe
Pro

@Alex They're on Three at the moment (mentioned in their post Wink )

Pay 50p for an Asda sim (or it was) to check coverage since they use EE too. Plusnet only do sim deals (until you've been with them for 6 months which I've only just found out about). Good point about unlocking.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The post didn’t mention that, but yes as far as I believe it is true with Three. The SIM can disable the feature in your phone to stop you doing it.

Mind you with Three, you’d probably get no reception anyway, so it’ll make not much difference.

Yes no problem with EE and I’ve used it before and I assume no problem with PlusNet either.
Colin_Maybe
Pro

I'm thinking of switching to Plusnet for my mobile, currently use three paying £12 for 3gb of 4g data

For the life of me I couldn't see how you could miss that but I've just realised that it could be read as them having three (3) plusnet sims, I'll blame it on the OP for not capitalising Three or using correct punctuation Wink

carnivalist

What happens after you've been with Plusnet for 6 months? They offer handset contracts?

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Apparently, although you have to phone the sales team who will email you a product card giving you your options.

CharlieRobinson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 2

Hi carnivalist!

Thanks for getting in touch! After 6 successful Direct Debit payments your account will be eligible for a handset upgrade. For more info on available handsets I suggest giving our Sales Team a call on 500 from your Plusnet SIM or 0800 079 1133 and select option 2.

If you’re unsure about how many payments you’ve made to date, you can check online through your My Account or you can give our Customer Service Team a call (500 or 0800 079 1133 and select option 1).

Any questions please don’t hesitate to drop me a private message!

- Charlie