cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering

Loobs39
Hooked

Tethering

U can see this certainly was quite a common problem a couple of years ago but no recent queries on it. I have a Motorola phone, always been able to tether under my Tesco contract. Now plusnet sim, using same phone and laptop and tablet and I can't tether or Bluetooth?? When I try, my phone shows tethering is active and in laptop it shows as secured but internet service not working? I have phoned customer service several times and they couldn't help - anyone got a solution pleeease?
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Tethering

Assuming the phone is running Android?

Have you tried the suggestions in this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Tethering-doesn-t-work-on-unlocked-Lenovo-B-or-Huawei-Y300/m-p/...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Loobs39
Hooked

I did see that but quite honestly I don't really understand it? I have googled the issue too but no joy. At a loss tbh and no chance of doing any work. Wish I'd never changed. Many thanks for replying though.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Do you have any friend that might understand it  and help you ?

I'm afraid that some phones seem to require that setting and others dont , my first phone required it but my latest worked fine straight away

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Loobs39
Hooked

I decided to try your suggestion but when I attempted to download the thing you suggested it took over four hours and got stuck just before fully downloading - not having a good time of it at the moment. I will have another go but after that I will give up. Thanks again for your help though.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Loobs39   you dont need to download the whole Android studio. On the download page , scroll down to the 'command line tools only' section. That's all you need and that download is much smaller

Loobs39
Hooked

Ok I downloaded it - thanks - but when u turned on computer and checked that, as before, the phone and laptop were linked, I put adb devices but it said that it was not possible to access as there was no internet. I assume I had to put that on the laptop, not the phone?Huh
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Loobs39  Ok , Im sorry , it seems that the installation method for adb has changed significantly since I used it.

I have it installed on my Linux desktop but havent installed it on a Windows machine for some time.

When I get chance I'll try and get it installed on my Laptop and produce a set of detailed instructions for you.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Loobs39  ok, I've now got it working on my Windows laptop

Delete that which you already have downloaded and copied to the laptop previously as part of attempting to install adb.

Then have a read through this guide https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/

and if you feel confident then give it a go. That's what I've just followed to install on my laptop.

If you have any questions or are unsure of anything then post back with the queries

Loobs39
Hooked

Ok, USB debugging is on phone. But the instructions say load adb zip file, is that to my phone or laptop? I can't download it on to my laptop as I have no internet on there (there's a hole in my bucket ....) - sorry, just my age lol.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It needs to be downloaded to the laptop. I'd assumed you'd got broadband at home which the laptop could use for an internet connection. If that's not the case then we have a  catch 22 situation.

On the earlier thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Tethering-not-working/td-p/1615134 an app Clockworkmod tether was suggested as an alternative. That would be installed directly on the phone and wouldntninvolve so2nl9qding to the laptop. I've not used that myself and so have nomideabif it works

Loobs39
Hooked

You have been such a star - thank you for all your help. I am actually in France at the moment (not an issue with this problem as I have always been able to use it before here). I return home next week so will sort it out with plusnet then but thanks loads for trying.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No problem. If you need any help when you get back then shout up.