cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering

Al333

Tethering

Have tried to tether using multiple mobiles and different laptops/tablets.  Data working absolutely fine (4G) on mobiles but always a DNS failure (no internet) on laptops/tablets despite being actually tethered to the mobile device no problem.

All devices tether fine with a Voda sim in...

Assuming this is a problem at EE/PN end.

Anybody any thoughts?

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
MarcJohnson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Tethering

Good morning!

While we've set-up our network services to allow tethering in almost all cases, we can't currently offer technical support or further information for that connection facility.

We can't guarantee tethering will (or will always) work for every type of handset or with every local network configuration, at all times, and we won't be able to offer specific guidance with tethering questions. If the connections aren't running smoothly for you, you may wish to look into third-party information and advice.

I hope that's clarifying, and don't hesitate to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with!

Tags (1)
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I’ve tested my PN sim in several Android phones and tethering has worked on all of them except one and yes, it just happens to be the one I use every day.Sad

I’ve not found any answer to the problem but it’s definitely a phone problem and not a network problem however it’s very strange that the OP’s sim is not tethering in any phone.

It’s an odd problem because although I reckon it’s a phone problem the phone that does not do tether with Plusnet works with all the other networks I use.

I’ve given up now on trying to make it work with said phone and now just using it (with tethering) in my Motorola G phone.

Tags (1)
Vortecks
Hooked

Stupid question...... is it a dual sim phone?

I found that putting the Plusnet sim in the first slot doesn't work - it has to go in the second slot.

Tags (1)
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro

@Vortecks

My phone is dual sim too and tethering never worked in either slot however for anyone who has a Chinese import phone I did find a fix for this. The problems seem to affect some Chinese imported phones even if bought from local UK sellers.

Symptoms are, phone will not tether using your PlusNet sim but works with other sims and your PN sim tethers if it’s in a non Chinese import phone.

I have a fix but will not publish here because the fix involves the having to be rooted and an APK file sideways loaded.

Apparently this problem, I’ve been told effect two networks and that’s Vodafone Australia and unfortunate for us PN UK.

Tags (1)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

DO you know which phones are affected?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Tags (1)
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro

@Kelly

It seem to effect Chinese branded phones and mines a Doogee X5 max Pro and the guy who found the fixed (on another forum) who had just got a PN sim and seen my tethering problem manage to find a fix using an app called “DF Tethering Fix_1.9.3” and his phone was a THL T7.

I don’t know what the tethering fix app fixes but it works but the downside is the app needs to get into Android system files so the phone needs to have root permission, at least that what I was told.

So I only know of those two Chinese’s phones but no doubt there are others.

Tags (1)
Argyll

I am so glad I found this. I have an Oukitel K7000 chinese phone I bought last year in Cambodia.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out the issues i have been having tethering to my netbook. Now I know the problem.

Chris I'd be grateful if you could send me the links by pm to rectify this.

Tags (1)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@ArgylI I found the app with a google search.  You'll need to be rootable though.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Tags (1)
chrisl300

I have an Elephone P8000 (Chinese Phone) and the solution here worked for me -

https://forum.xda-developers.com/z3/general/lollipop-tethering-t3058923

it does not require phone rooting. I used the 15 second ABD installer mentioned in message #2

You need to install the ABD program on a laptop or PC (see message #2 in the link), enable developer options and USB debugging on the phone.

Connect the phone with a proper USB cable (some cheap cables only charge)

Ensure the phone is connected as a Media Device (MTP) and not just charging

Start the ADB shell by opening command prompt in Windows and typing "adb shell" (without quotes)

When you get the ADB prompt enter "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" (without quotes)

That's it, disconnect, turn off USB debugging. try it.

Tags (1)
Vortecks
Hooked

THANK YOU!!! 

I've been trying to get this working for months now and it worked! Grin

Tags (1)
opentrail

This is rubbish. Tethering should just work on any phone with Android. Your Ops department don't know how to set it up correctly. My father and I bought two 4g Sim's from you and they are just terrible. Not only don't they tether (hotspot or USB), BT and EE on the same phone do, but the prioritisation of signal is 3G, seldom 4G, the opposite of BT and EE which both are constantly on 4G. The consequence is slow data on PlusNet. Sending replacement SIM cards out will not fix a systemic problem with your Ops setup.

Tags (1)
OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Hi @opentrail!

As mentioned earlier, we can't guarantee tethering will work using one of our SIM cards.

While we've set-up our network services to allow tethering in almost all cases, we can't currently offer technical support or further information for that connection facility.

We can't guarantee tethering will (or will always) work for every type of handset or with every local network configuration, at all times, and we won't be able to offer specific guidance with tethering questions. If the connections aren't running smoothly for you, you may wish to look into third-party information and advice.

The reason we can't guarantee this is that we are an MVNO and we don't have the full range of signals and services EE offer directly.
This can mean that some things other networks offer we are currently unable to.
I'm really sorry we can't be of any more help or offer any specific advice this time.

It may be worth trying the above fixes, if they apply to your handset.

If you have any other queries not relating to tethering, please feel free to send me a private message with your query and I'll gladly look in to it for you Smiley

-Oli

Tags (1)
berniemc

Hi,

The adb solution posted above worked for me fine with a Doogee X5 Pro. No root needed.

Thanks for posting it.

B.

Tags (1)
martastik

I can confirm that this solution also works with Maze Alpha 😁
Tags (1)