cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering my car

sniffermark

Tethering my car

I recently switched to a monthly Plusnet Mobile contract from Three.

I can set up a mobile hotspot on my Android phone, and can use this to access the internet from other devices (e.g. a tablet) but whilst my car (a new Skoda) connects to the hotspot OK, it can't access any data (e.g. navigation data) - it gives a 'no data connection' message.

The car used to work OK with my phone when I was with Three, and my wife's phone (also Three) and my work phone (Vodafone) work fine.  But not Plusnet.

Is there some account setting that needs to be turned on to enable my car to work over Plusnet Mobile?  It would be a shame to have to leave Plusnet when I just joined.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Tethering my car

Odd that it works with some devices but not the car. You might try the tether_dun_required fix, that usually sorts any tethering problems. See here http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-enable-tethering-android-6-0-marshmallow-update-1524792

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sniffermark

Thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a try and report back.

sniffermark

I tried the tether_dun_required fix, but it didn't work for me.  Thanks MisterW for taking the time to try to help.  I guess I'll need to find a new provider.  Shame - the Plusnet deal was good.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

I had a quick look and there's quite a few threads on different forums about the difficulty of connecting Skodas to mobiles. Is it perhaps a setting on the car rather than on the phone?

sniffermark

Yes I'm asking the same question on the Skoda forum too.  Odd that the car works with phones that use other moble providers (Three, Vodafone) though...