Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing reception before signing up?

FIXED
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Testing reception before signing up?

I am tempted by the new PlusNet Mobile offering but before I commit my money (even if it is just a fiver) I would like to test out what reception is going to be like here out in the sticks. Is there any way to do this? Can I order a free SIM and activate it (and pay the first month's contract) after it has been received/tested like with other providers? Alternatively, can I cancel the contract without penalty should I discover that signal reception is inadequate?

I suppose I could get a free EE SIM but I'd rather not go round the houses like that, and besides which I wouldn't want to fall foul of any service differences that might exist between the MVNO and underlying operator.

12 REPLIES 12
HangTen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Testing reception before signing up?

They are all 30-day contracts; so if you go for the cheapest £5 deal, you're not committed to anything beyond 30 days Smiley

MJN
Pro

I've lost my £5 though!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MJN - I'd thought about this as well but for me using this with EE is a non-starter, not even for 5!

MJN
Pro

It's not looking great for me either - fine outdoors but not inside. If the generic maps are touch-and-go the only real way of knowing is to actually try it.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Checked for my location and it is all down as likely to have good coverage and I don't - it is typically one bar or less indoors for voice calls on EE (actually Virgin Mobile PAYG)

The EE Coverage checker is rather more accurate and pessimistic http://ee.co.uk/why-ee/mobile-coverage

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well as you may (or may not) know you need to take with a large pinch of salt what any mobile phone 'signal strength' indicator says, as any two phone can and will give different results.

drj
Aspiring Pro

Oldjim wrote: "The EE Coverage checker is rather more accurate and pessimistic http://ee.co.uk/why-ee/mobile-coverage"

No difference for me - but whether I'd get 4G is debatable - it's rather marginal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

Hi, 

If you were wanting to check the signal you can always use the EE website to check your postcode, as we'd supply the same signal as them, however if your still not sure you can always cancel the SIM within the 14 Day Return Period. If this was done you would receive a refund for the services not used, for example if no services were used you would be eligible for the full refund, but if you used half the services you'd be eligible for a refund of half of the monthly line rental. 

You're able to cancel this contract without any penalty due to it being a 30 day rolling contract, so all we ask is 30 days notice before closing the account. Hope this helps. 

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Using the Plusnet checker my results seem fairly accurate

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Oldjim

Thanks for that, I'd forgotten about the new Plusnet coverage checker! If anyone needs the link here it is - https://www.plus.net/mobile/coverage-checker/

MJN
Pro

@EmilyMcAuliffe wrote:

Hi, 

If you were wanting to check the signal you can always use the EE website to check your postcode, as we'd supply the same signal as them, however if your still not sure you can always cancel the SIM within the 14 Day Return Period. If this was done you would receive a refund for the services not used, for example if no services were used you would be eligible for the full refund, but if you used half the services you'd be eligible for a refund of half of the monthly line rental.

Thanks for that Emily. There are too many variables for the Ofcom/EE/PN signal checker to be of use (particularly the Plusnet tool - it only shows likely outdoor strength!) and so I will go ahead and order on the basis of cancelling within the return period if need be. I won't need to use any voice/data - simply measuring the signal strength with the SIM in will suffice for my needs.

quelquod
Pro

Coverage checkers are only a general guide to the area you're in. They can't know if (for instance) your house has 6 foot thick walls and built in the shadow of a giant gasometer. Joking aside, my signal strength varies considerably between my house and the shops barely 400 meters away.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!