Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tempted to join but cautious about signal and number porting

FIXED
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Tempted to join but cautious about signal and number porting

I'm on O2  and the service inside and out here is excellent. EE doesn't look so good but hard to tell in detail from the coverage map.

So I've ordered a sim - only £5 and if the service isn't any good I'll just cancel. I won't get a PAC until I'm happy with changing.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Hi Custos,

Sorry for the late reply I didn’t know anyone had added anything until my inbox filled up this morning, looks like the email system has caught up at last lol. I live about 6 miles East of Dorchester so that would explain the window bit, I also have a local transmitter just down the road from me for O2 pity it is only set up for Edge as it’s just a local black spot cover.

So, I use a M$ Lumia 950 running Windows 10 Mobile, not a bad phone at all, a bit big for the pocket but the icons are nice and large for us old folks to use. I also have an older Galaxy SIII that I upgraded from so I tested the SIM in both.

Each phone was factory re-set between tests with an EE SIM, and a Tesco Mobile and O2 SIM (I have accounts with both, a long story lol), the EE SIM would not even get a signal in the SIII even when standing in the same window as testing the 950.

Still I might give it a go after all £120 or so for a year for a backup Data connection if our fibre goes down is not a bad investment we can just sit it in the window and tether it to a laptop to get on line if needed. Like others have said it’s a 30 day contract so the most anyone would pay is for two months (one to test and one to cancel).

Regards, Pendragon.

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi Pendragon. The 950 is a nice phone (I have a much lower spec 535) so I am sure that will be working well. My main phone is a Moto G (3rd Gen). The coverage maps are little use in my experience. Rural areas can be very difficult and in the end you have to use whatever Network works for you. GiifGaff is cheap and uses the 02 Network, that's what I have been using up to now. 02 does have quite good rural coverage using the lower frequency for it's 2G service and the 4G coverage is improving as well. I still have my doubts about EE but it is such a good deal that I am prepared to give it a try. The coverage here in Weymouth is OK and that is where it will be used most of the time.

YorkshirePud82
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Fix

Well yesterday finally put to bed any plans to join plusnet mobile. despite having some VERY tempting offers sadly i tried a free EE sim in work and just like my colleagues got no signal in the building at all. unfortunately this is no good to me, its a shame really as it is such a tempting deal!.