Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid questions about the new PlusNet mobile

Stu9560
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Stupid questions about the new PlusNet mobile

OK, I'm vaguely interested but would like to know:

- do I keep the same number? (I'm already on EE payg)

- will my very basic cheapo Nokia work with a 4g network? (I only use it for a few texts a week and to take the odd call)

If so, the £5 a month plan will probably do me.

Asking here in case the answers benefit others. Ta in advance.

30 REPLIES 30
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Stupid questions about the new PlusNet mobile

We should be able to port your number over. And, as for your phone, it depends if it's 4G capable. Probably best to consult the manufacturer on that one.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

What Stu is asking is will you support 2/3G phones (you specify 4G on your site). Being on the EE network I would assume that is yes as only 3 dropped support for 2G.

I'm surprised that someone who works in a customer service environment has trouble understanding that question - customers don't always get the wording right.

Anyhow moving on, I have a question too. Will there be a PAYG service?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I have another stupid question.  At the  moment I am with EE(Tmobile actually) on PAYG.  The reason I decided on PAYG is because I am scared of being caught out with images being sent by text, or one of those text scams and suddenly being hit by a thousand pound bill.  At least with PAYG once you're out of credit you can't have any more taken from you.  So my question is, this proposed  contract deal, can it be capped to prevent overuse?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

What Stu is asking is will you support 2/3G phones (you specify 4G on your site). Being on the EE network I would assume that is yes as only 3 dropped support for 2G.

I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to support 2G/3G phone handsets, probably best to contact our partners at Life Mobile to advise further on that. 

All our deals we are aware of are on http://www.plusnetmobile.com

So my question is, this proposed  contract deal, can it be capped to prevent overuse?

I believe so, called a Smart Cap

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Stu9560
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks Anoush. Yes, I was asking if my old 2G (or even 1G for all I know) phone would work on the fancy 4G network.

Good question about capping too, hadn't thought of that.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

I would be very cautious about PN's capability to retain the same number, I wanted to retain my number when I left my then employer last year, I got a PAC code, but EE could not use it to move from a business account to a private customer account. In the end, I had to switch to Vodafone for a year, before going back to EE earlier this year.

As for phones working on 4G, older phones should still work, but just not take advantage of the greater speeds, but as above, how old is it, and what is it capable of?

7up
Community Veteran

@IngeJones wrote:

I have another stupid question.  At the  moment I am with EE(Tmobile actually) on PAYG. 

Actually you're on the O2 network as thats what Tesco use.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@7up wrote:

Tesco? Have you never heard of T-Mobile?

7up
Community Veteran

@Anoush wrote:

All our deals we are aware of are on http://www.plusnetmobile.com

Seriously I hope the plusnet training gets better because that was the first place I looked before I asked the question!!! 

So from that should I take it that plusnet really mean "Thats an awkward question, shut up and go away" ?

7up
Community Veteran

@Browni wrote:

@7up wrote:

Tesco? Have you never heard of T-Mobile?

Urgh.... How on earth did I read that as Tesco? Crazy3

I didn't even know T-Mobile still existed. As far as I was aware they were gone - sucked up by another corporate and the brand lost forever - except in the form of its registered trademark.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Yes but we are still seperated beneath EE in terms of the packages and addons we can get

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

According to the blurb, Plusnet will send out a SIM card to fit any phone.Presumably a phone that is locked to another provider will need to be unlocked, in that case?

Also, will the mobile phone service be billed separately from the broadband and landline?

7up
Community Veteran

@Jaggies wrote:

According to the blurb, Plusnet will send out a SIM card to fit any phone.Presumably a phone that is locked to another provider will need to be unlocked, in that case?

Yes it will need unlocking. Anyone with a market stool and some cheap chinese phone cases seems to be able to do that these days though.

Thats one reason to buy your phone independently rather than from a network because if you buy a phone yourself it's already unlocked. I got my dual sim E5004 from Aldi back in January and naturally it was unlocked. You do have to be careful though as some phones will automatically lock themselves to the first network they are used on - presumably these handsets were originally destined for the phone companies but somehow made it into the open market.

7up
Community Veteran

@Anoush wrote:

I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to support 2G/3G phone handsets, probably best to contact our partners at Life Mobile to advise further on that. 

Probably best if you don't give that advice for too long - contact our partners. You're advertising business in the name of "Plusnet" so to then pass the buck and say contact someone else looks very unprofessional.

Simply saying something like "We're new to this so give me a day or two and I'll get back to you" would be far more effective.