cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck between two networks

Reiver635
Hooked

Stuck between two networks

I'm switching two mobiles from Tesco to Plusnet. Got confimation from Tesco & both sims are now dead as of Wednesday morning (08/01).

Had multiple emails from Plusnet telling me the sims are live (they aren't) and the numbers will be ported 08/01.

My phones have no signal. Calling the temporary numbers gets the message 'The number is unavailable'

Both phones still dead as of 08:30 09/01/20.

The helpdesk number doesn't get me anywhere!

3 REPLIES 3
Reiver635
Hooked

Re: Stuck between two networks

Turns out the phones are locked to the Tesco Network!

Requested unlocking & I will have to wait up to 7 days!!! It's up to Motorola (G4 & E3).

So much for a fast easy switch. Not Plusnet's fault but Tesco could have warned me the phones would need unlocking.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I know it doesn't help you now but hopefully soon, if Ofcom get there way the locking of network phones is going to be made illegal for networks to do.

Let’s hope it’s sooner than later.

Reiver635
Hooked

I never gave it a moment's thought. (You can tell I don't switch phones/providers very often).

I've been with Tesco since 2012, upgrading every 2 years. My current contract ran out a year ago & I was going for a sim-only deal but ended up staying with Tesco out of laziness.

I can understand the phone being locked while it's under contract but when the contract ends the phone should be automatically unlocked (or is that being unrealistic?).

I've had to buy 2x £10 Tesco sims to tide us over. Ironically I was toying with the idea of buying a new G7 Plus or G8 Plus (sim free) which would have got me around the lock issue on my phone but I was going to wait a little while to see if G7+ prices dropped a bit - currently there's only £20 difference between the two.