cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to cancel contract

KH19

Struggling to cancel contract

I tried cancelling my sim only no contract deal as I do not use it but didn't need to transfer my number as it is a second sim card for occasional use. There was no way to do this online which I think is ridiculous. I work away from home and do not want to waste my precious time at home waiting for an advisor to be available.  Therefore I cancelled my direct debit direct with my bank. I expected my mobile account to then be closed or at least to receive contact from Plusnet asking if I wished to close my account.  But no, just an email to say my payment was overdue, a late fee of £10 applied and that I could not use any chargeable service until it was paid.  Then the next month another late payment email.  How can this be correct when I'm not in contract!  Now I receive a letter saying my outstanding balance has been referred to a debt collection agency. 

All I want to do is to cancel my contract which technically I don't even have!

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Struggling to cancel contract

@KH19 

To quote from the Mobile contract terms and conditions:

Term

SIM only plans are on either:-

• a rolling monthly contract. 30 days’ notice to terminate required.
  • a 12 month contract. If you choose to end your service within the minimum term, you will have to pay an early termination charge by way of compensation to us for ending your service early as set out in the

I do not see how failing to pay constitutes giving 30 days notice of cancellation.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RJM
Rising Star

I should reinstate the DD as soon as possible

The system might automatically pass this matter onto debt collectors.

I would ring them and talk this through.

KH19

Yes I was on the monthly rolling contract and would have happily given 30 days notice if this option was available on the website or through an email.  

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Sorry but I think that you are using the wrong tense. Surely it's not 'was on a monthly rolling contract' but am on a monthly rolling contract? In my experience it is common practice in this industry to have to ring in to cancel a contract. The fact that you consider your time too valuable to follow this procedure (you may also be able to write a letter and send it by snail mail) does not remove the obligation.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting in touch @KH19 

I'm sorry to see you're having trouble cancelling your account. Unfortunately cancelling payment details on an account isn't really a valid cancellation request so I'd recommend speaking to our mobile team 0800 079 1133 about this.

Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet