cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Funding Hate

mrpetenorth
Hooked

Stop Funding Hate

Unable to find an email address, I'm using this forum to air a concern. I've got a rolling mobile contract with Plusnet since migrating from Life Mobile, and I've been very happy with the service I've received. However, it doesn't sit well with me that Plusnet chooses to advertise in newspapers which have aggressive right wing views and encourage racial hatred, such as the Daily Express. Plusnet have not responded to requests to rethink their advertising strategy and as a result I've decided to seek another, more ethical, provider. I'll be sorry to lose supply from a company which seem very competent to provide, but it's something I feel strongly about.
12 REPLIES 12
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Stop Funding Hate

Presumably with your myopic vision, you are also blacklisting every manufacturer that includes Express Newspapers in their media schedule?
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

And here we have it people, the winner of the most idiotic thread of the year.

mrpetenorth
Hooked

I'm doing everything I can to stop providing custom to companies and organisations funding the Daily Express and other publications that follow a similar agenda.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Snowflake alert!
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Never mind OP the meek will inherit the Earth, if that’s OK with the rest of you.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@mrpetenorth wrote:
I'm doing everything I can to stop providing custom to companies and organisations funding the Daily Express and other publications that follow a similar agenda.

i assume you have submitted your cancellation request then?

I assume you'll also be removing your BT phone line into your property as plusnet are owned by BT.
and following on from that, you won't be phoning anyone with a BT line either? as that will just be funding BT in the process.

you should also remove the aerial from your house so that you can't receive freeview transmissions either. as the commercial channels in the freeview consortium allow advertising from such companies that you don't like.

mrpetenorth
Hooked

I'm in the process of finding another provider. As I live in Hull we don't have BT phone lines, I turn off for tv adverts and don't pay for any tv channels beyond the tv license, but thanks for your help.
chenks76
All Star

i hope KC don't fund or take money from those you disagree with, have you investigated?
by using freeview you are using a service that is funded by those you disagree with, i suggest you remove that service immediately.

not sure which mobile provider you will find, as EE, Vodafone, Three, O2 all advertise on those companies you disagree with, and any MVNO will, by association, also be on your black list.
mrpetenorth
Hooked

As far as I'm aware KC don't advertise in the publications I'm concerned about. I also believe Giffgaff and O2 have pulled their advertising from the newspapers that encourage racist and intolerant behaviour. If you know otherwise then I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

I appreciate your help.
chenks76
All Star

so is is just the Daily Express you have issue with?
how far are you willing to take this boycott?
will you be communicating with people who use BT group services? (or any other service that does business with those that you disagree with). i would assume you won't be otherwise it would be hypocritical of you

ps. i am in no way helping you. i am mocking you for your idiotic stance on this.
mrpetenorth
Hooked

You can keep telling yourself that it's impossible to take an ethical stand if it makes you feel better about yourself but I think you see clearly what my position is. I'll take reasonable steps to avoid giving my custom to companies that support any outlet that preaches hate. I know that Plusnet do, and any other company that I see doing the same I'll take steps to avoid using if I can. It's very simple. The fact you and others take such exception to this says more about you than me. You'll continue to try to bully people into silence because they indirectly point out that your indifference is harming people, but ultimately you'll bury your head in the sand again and keep it out of sight, out of mind.
chenks76
All Star

"if you can". surely you would ensure that you did at all costs?
or is this selective morals?

if you're happy by being selective in what you want to avoid morally then fill 'yet boots, however don't try and force others to agree with you, and by telling plusnet to stop advertising with those you disagree with is forcing YOUR opinion on to others.

and if you voice your opinion in a public forum then you must accept to hear differing opinions and for your opinions to be challenged. if you don't want to hear that and choose to have be blinkered then don't voice your opinions.

and to be clear, i am saying it is totally possible to take an ethical stand, but YOU must be willing to stand by that fully and not be selective about it. you must be willing to boycott ALL businesses that go against whatever morals you choose to go by. if not then you are simply a hypocrite.