Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam on my new number, why?

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Spam on my new number, why?

I am a little worried about security in the Plusnet Mobile system, why, well I have had a private number since 1998 (on the old analogue system), and this has been ported to many different providers, but always on O2, and to date I have never had a spam text or voice message. The odd wrong number that has given some interesting conversations but that is normal.

I have had a Plusnet SIM for what 8 weeks now placed in an old phone to use when in the car, no-one knows this number, I have only sent one test text to my private number and yet I have had multiple spam text and even checking this morning a voice message left. How in hell can a firm (a Pizza delivery firm), get my number so quick and who would leave a voice message when I’ve never given out this number to anyone.

BTW I have received 2 notifications from Plusnet by email purporting to provide details of my mobile account (received in Windows 10 Mail), and both times when I try and open it I get a message that the file is too big to open not enough memory, on a brand new laptop, come on Plusnet.

Not the best of starts I must admit.

9 REPLIES 9
Pendragon
Rising Star

Re: Spam on my new number, why?

An addition to the above, I just tried to log in to my mobile account, refused something is wrong try again and so on.

Asked the system to send me reminder details to my Plusnet address, mail arrives and lo and behold this is the error message I get from Windows 10 mail on my laptop when I try to open it. Error message is attached.

MarcJohnson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hello Pendragon!

Your problem opening your email doesn't seem to be anything to do with our website or service specifically. A quick glance at search results gives articles like this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/windows-10-mail-app-e....

Perhaps it's worth taking a look there for hadware and software settings that might help with that?

If you private message me with your Mobile account's details, I'll be more than happy to take a look at your settings on our side regarding receiving marketing communication. Smiley

Thanks for getting in touch!

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I too received my very first spam text yesterday from a (probably the same) Pizza delivery firrm

An internet search gives their address in Eastbourne

However, I am not with Plusnet for mobile and I would say this company are using a randomly generating spam set up that sends these types of texts in bulk to many mobile numbers

I found that by going in to text messages, pressing and holding the text in question allows me to block their business text name (it came with no number showing).

edit to correct a typo.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Pendragon If I'm reading your post correct, your PN number is a new sim and you haven't ported your old number over? if so then you have to keep in mind that either the spam is to randomly generated numbers as mentioned above (never reply to them as they will then know your number is active) or the number is recycled (most are by now I suppose) and it was spammed previously. If you have Android try the Mr Number app to block them.

I'm surprised that you used O2 for all those years without getting spam as they're known to sell your details on. I never had any spam until I changed to them for a short while.

Pendragon
Rising Star

In answer to some of the replies, thank you for the suggestions, I have already added the spam numbers to my blocked list on the phone so that will stop the spam.

Yes the private number is not ‘ported’ to my Plusnet number, there are reception problems where I live for EE’s signal and I’m still testing whether I should continue with the contract or not.

I have searched the net for solutions (including the link posted) but found no solution so far but if I come up with anything I’ll post it here.

At least it’s nice to know I’m not the only one having the silly error message.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have registered my home and mobiles numbers with the TPS ( telephone preference service) and find it has stopped unwanted calls I would try it see below

What is the Telephone Preference Service?

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service run by the Direct Marketing Association (DMA). It stops your telephone number being available to organisations, including charity and voluntary organisations, who may telephone you with sales or marketing calls.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html

DS
Seasoned Champion

We registered our landline number with TPS years ago, just a shame international (or spoofed) numbers don't fall foul to the rules.

(never got round to doing our mobile phones - more so due to this pizza one being my first one I've ever received via text)

Pendragon
Rising Star

At last, I finally got access to my mobile account but what a palaver, I had to invoke my old version of Windows Mail 2012, remove all my Outlook and Hotmail accounts (they don’t work any more with Windows Mail 2012), then I was able to download the messages from Plusnet and use them to get access to my Mobile account.

BTW it looks like the problem is with the header pictures that come with the messages from Plusnet Mobile because Windows Mail 2012 would not download them either. You might want to check on the size, type or scale of the pictures or better still remove them they are not needed and just use up mobile data if download on to a phone.

Anyway, problem solved for the moment but I still don’t like the fact even if the Pizza place was using a number dumper program to dial numbers (not legal now I believe, will be reporting it), it was so easy to get so called brand new numbers so quickly, and I've been on TPS for years both landline and mobile and these were the first spam texts I have ever had as well.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Pendragon wrote: (snipped) I still don’t like the fact even if the Pizza place was using a number dumper program to dial numbers (not legal now I believe, will be reporting it), it was so easy to get so called brand new numbers so quickly, and I've been on TPS for years both landline and mobile and these were the first spam texts I have ever had as well.

I agree, plus hope Ofcom come down on them severely

I believe that number reissuing has been mentioned in a post above - I do recall Peter Stringfellows mobile number (and a singer who I will not mention) also has their previous numbers reallocated to members of the public. I would guess to say this has to be done as eventually the numbers would run out, unless they adopted an extra number).

(I have Whatsapp installed on my Android phone, but it is worrying that because I retained a friends previous number, but they have since changed it, I now see the profile picture of the new number user)