cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So wrong

ritaman

So wrong

I changed my annual subscription to a monthly PAYG account at an agreed rate, after one month the monthly fee went up by 36p - it wasn't a lot so I didn't challenge it.

I am currently in Cyprus and yesterday whilst still in Cyprus I got a message stating I had now entered another country with different roaming charges which triggered mobile data usage. Again it's not a lot of money but I never left Cyprus so cannot have entered another country. Feeling a bit peeved by all this. It's all small amounts of money but nevertheless not justified.
13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: So wrong

Hi @ritaman 

If you went to the border of Cyprus while you may had never left the country, your mobile can still pick up the signal from a mast in that other country like if you were to just step over the border. Was that country on our Roam like at Home list Here?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ritaman

Hi I had to collect a friend from an hotel in Pyrgos, which is in Cyprus.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If there is more than one network with a roaming agrrement, then its possible for the phone to switch networks if the signal strength changes. You will then get the welcome again.I've seen similar occurrences when in Portugal

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Though there have been cases where Cyprus and Greece have picked up signals from Turkey.
But it’d still give the country in the welcome text I’d have thought.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ritaman

I never received any Welcome messages. The first I knew there was an issue was when I got a message saying that I had used a percentage of my smart cap.
I never used my phone but it was switched on, hence the reason for being a tad annoyed at charge being incurred.

I was also surprised to have my monthly payment go up within one month of taking out a new contract.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It does sound like your phone picked up a signal from a mast in Turkey as Pyrgos looks to be on the northern border of Cyprus. Turkey sadly isn’t included in your allowance as a roam like at home destination.

While you may have never used your phone, there are things your phone does to look for updates automatically for example new messages if you have Facebook. 

I had the same when going to Latvia, my phone picked up a signal in Russia while technically I was still in Latvia. I had to quickly turn off roaming to limit charges.

It just depends how good the masts are when you go abroad, as some are better than others. We don’t have control over this sadly as the masts don’t belong to us.

Regarding your monthly payment, when did it go up? We’ve recently begun increasing our prices yearly in line with the Consumer Price Index. We’re doing this so we can make sure we offer the best products and services we can. There’s more information Here 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ritaman

Hi, thanks for the explanation re the masts. Lesson learnt is to switch off my phone when in the car Smiley

I changed my contract in May 2021. In June I paid the agreed amount. In July it increased and remained at the increased level in August.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, sounds like a plan! Smiley

We increased our prices at the end of June this year as part of the same CPI increase so that’d likely explain the extra charge in July onwards.

From next year our prices will go up every March.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ritaman

I don't think that is the correct explanation re pricing, I think Plusnet are just over charging me

My husband changed his plan 2 days after me and his pricing has been at the agreed amount.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Feel free to private message me the following details and we can take a closer look. This information will pass our data protection checks.

+Your mobile number

+Your full name

+Your full address

+Are you the account holder?

+Your date of birth

+Last 2 digits of your bank account number

+Last 2 digits of your bank sort code

When private messaging me, I’d recommend including a link to this thread as our staff private messages go through a centralised system internally so I might not actually personally message you back. Although there’s just a handful of us who monitor our Community Forums so there’s a good chance I’ll pick it up.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ritaman

Thank you. I have sent a PM
ritaman

Hi, did you get the PM I sent?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies for the delayed response @ritaman we've just been incredibly busy the last few days.

I'll message you back shortly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet