Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart cap - IT DOESN'T WORK!

pontyslapper
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Smart cap - IT DOESN'T WORK!

So, I've just upgraded my original PN sim to the current 12Gb for £10 offer and while I was at it purchased a second, new sim on the same deal. Smart cap set to £0 at point of ordering and confirmed on the app.

Load the sim yesterday when it arrives, into my lads phone and off he goes.

Just checking the app this morning to see if the original sim has flipped onto the deal correctly and catch a glance that a MMS is being charged on the new sim. What the...?!?

It seems that even if you request and seemingly have in place a Smart Cap of £0 - you are still able to use premium services that are chargeable even though you think you have the safety net of the smart cap enabled.

Dug deeper into the app and it appears the true smart cap setting is still seemingly £10!!

I'm not happy about this and I think a word in Ofcom's shell-like is on the cards as the smart cap is an advertised feature - indeed it is in writing on the 'flyer' the sim is attached to as being set as £0.

I've since gone back through the original sim bills to discover the same thing has happened - set to zero and allowed an MMS to be sent and charged for it.

I await PN's response as I am not impressed at the moment to say the least.

7 REPLIES 7
pontyslapper
Dabbler

Re: Smart cap - IT DOESN'T WORK!

Smart cap has its own 'shouty - how good is this' webpage

https://www.plus.net/mobile/smart-cap

Its even in writing in the mobile FAQs that MMS will be blocked on a smart cap of £0

https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/about-your-smart-cap/

Then 'drilldown'  -

pontyslapper
Dabbler

Just had an online chat with a CS who put my mind a rest a bit.

It seems the MMS was able to be sent as the initial £10 is 'on the account'. Lets see what happens with the first 'real' bill - thats the ironclad test.

Plus, the kids will be warned about the costs of MMS on pain of death Wink - why not use Whatsapp, Instagram or any of the other plethora of picture friendly apps???

I thought it was only us oldies who used MMS on 'special occasions' to be quirky in our texting lives! I think I've only ever sent 1 - and then recoiled at the cost.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@pontyslapper, from your reading and the links provided is there no reference to this 'on the account £10', which I assume is a free spend to the user? If not then it really should be added to the documentation so this type of misunderstanding doesn't occur.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It seems the MMS was able to be sent as the initial £10 is 'on the account'. Lets see what happens with the first 'real' bill - thats the ironclad test.

@pontyslapper  that doesnt sound right, there is no 'credit' on mobile accounts. The plan is paid monthly in advance , so the initial £10 would cover the first month.

To me it sounds like your Smart Cap isn't set correctly at £0

Dug deeper into the app and it appears the true smart cap setting is still seemingly £10!!

That seems to confirm my theory.

Hopefully one of the PN help team will pick this up and check the Smart cap setting...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

molerat
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

If they have managed to foul up and not correctly allocate the initial payment to the opening bill your account will be sitting with with that amount of credit which can be used for chargeable items.

pontyslapper
Dabbler

Just checked my emails to be greeted by one from PN - Urgent - you have reached your smart cap.

So because of their useless systems I am now unable to do any roaming on the new sim, should we wish to, all because their £0 smart cap has failed in its advertised job.

Seems my chat with the CS this morning was in vain.

I'll just have to wait for a bill that should be with me later tonight???

I don't understand why I'm having a bill considering I only bought the sim a few days ago, and it arrived and was installed yesterday. I guess I shall have to wait for that to drop and deal with it on Monday.

To add insult to injury, the email states I can log in to My Account on the web - well we all know how that will end as its currently broken. Can't do anything of note on the app to solve it either.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @pontyslapper and apologies for the delayed response.

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your smart cap. Can you drop me a PM with the below information? I'll then message you back with additional questions to pass our data protection process and look into this for you.

• Your mobile number
  • Your full name
  • Are you the account holder?
  • Your full postal address
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet