cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Cap reached when roaming - no connection. Then what?

miksheff
Hooked

Smart Cap reached when roaming - no connection. Then what?

Last week I was travelling in the Baltic area, when my phone stopped working - in hindsight I had reached my Smart Cap. But my phone was showing no signal on my Plusnet SIM, although I had full signal on my second SIM (dual-SIM phone). Attempts to connect to the available networks simply produced a 'forbidden' note. This remained the case until I returned to the UK, at which point service was restored. For me the effect was as if the SIM had been switched off - no messages or emails to clarify - without information I could only assume a system error. In another thread, an advisor said "However, our 500 number from your plusnet SIM is free even while abroad, if you need to get in touch with us)" but with no bars on the signal strength, trying to make a call was not a possibility - or was it? I never tried. The only notification I had from Plusnet was a text advising me that 'calls outside Europe may cost more'.

My question is this. Why switch off all functions on reaching the Smart Cap?. Why not simply block all chargeable functions, and send an SMS to notify of the Cap's operation - there's no charge to receive them - and if the 500 number works when the phone indicates no signal, coyuld you not say so? I would have been happy to top-up or raise the Cap, but with no obvious remedy I was left in the dark with an unusable Plusnet phone.

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Smart Cap reached when roaming - no connection. Then what?

Hi @miksheff

If you’re abroad and reach the Smart Cap we will block any further chargeable services from being used, however we’d not block all services such as receiving text messages or call 500 as these are free.

Most likely there was an issue in the area on the network the plusnet SIM would have been connected to, which caused you to lose signal. I apologise for the inconvenience of this situation, and that you didn’t receive the usual text and e-mail to inform you the Smart Cap had been reached. If you'd like me to take a look into the account for you feel free to drop me a PM. Smiley 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

although I had full signal on my second SIM (dual-SIM phone). Attempts to connect to the available networks simply produced a 'forbidden' note

Doesn't sound like it was an issue with the local network

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@MisterW depends on the network the 2nd sim was attached to.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Colin_Maybe , Agreed! but

Attempts to connect to the available networks

and the other threads regarding roaming failure seem to indicate a more general problem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

miksheff
Hooked

For most of the time I was on a cruise boat with their own phone provider, which my other SIM (Telefonica) connected to without any problems, as did my wife's GiffGaff. On shore, in Russia, Finland and Sweden, it was the same. No signal on my Plusnet. Even trying my Plusnet SIM in another phone, without the second SIM, had the same effect. And, again, I received no SMS messages to explain the situation.

miksheff
Hooked

Telefonica - Spain.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Telefonica are O2 (or vice versa) and Giffgaff runs on them as well so it still stands that it could be where they were rather than a problem with Plusnet/EE.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, but you would have expected that 'On shore, in Russia, Finland and Sweden, it was the same' there'd be at least one network that EE have a roaming agreement with!

miksheff
Hooked

Thinking about it, when I was trying to connect, it was when I did a network search with my phone, found EE (as did my Telefonica SIM), tried to connect, and it was then that I got the 'forbidden' message. So it looks like the phone and the SIM could see the network, but just couldn't connect. This was the same with both an Android phone and a Windows phone. I'm coming to the conclusion that my Plusnet SIM was effectively switched off and denied access to the system when I hit the Smart Cap, only reconnecting when I stopped roaming. Perhaps I need to go back to O2 for a little (and I did say a little!) better coverage!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm coming to the conclusion that my Plusnet SIM was effectively switched off and denied access to the system when I hit the Smart Cap, only reconnecting when I stopped roaming.

That sounds feasible!. The silence from PN mobile on this and other threads is defening though... I'm used to the PN help team on the Broadband/Phone side taking issues like this seriously, investigating and resolving them.

miksheff
Hooked

Plusnet clarified the position in a message to me - my understanding of the situation was correct.

"... once you hit your Smart Cap all chargeable services like International and Roaming access were capped. This would be what caused you to lose signal, and prevent your from calling us on 500. I will be raising this to be looked into, so maybe in the future we could have something in place that only blocks you from using the chargeable services but still have access to calling us, or receiving calls."

Take note - if you are roaming, make sure you don't hit the cap, or you will be effectively cut off. My thanks to Emily McAuliffe for the above information.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Plusnet clarified the position in a message to me - my understanding of the situation was correct.

I will be raising this to be looked into, so maybe in the future we could have something in place that only blocks you from using the chargeable services but still have access to calling us, or receiving calls."

@miksheff PlusNet really need to clarify this PUBLICLY and fix it before the 15th June!. The T & C reads

Once you reach your smart cap you won’t be able
to make use of any services that incur out-of-plan or
additional charges until your next bill, unless you
make a payment.

@Anonymous It's wrong to disable roaming now, since dialing 500 and receiving texts is free anyway but from the 15th June all roaming use in the EU  will be within plan as well. So it certainly won't be within the T & C to disable it completely, especially when in the EU.

Comment please PN ?