Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Cap Limits

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Smart Cap Limits

Can any one confirm that if I lower my cap to £2 (would prefer zero myself) then this would make me immune to the £4.50 a month scams that are going around? I presume this would also stop the kids abusing the games with 'in app purchases' as well?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Smart Cap Limits

Hi Colin_Maybe,

The Smart Cap buffer is the amount that you are happy to spend above your monthly line rental on chargeable services (i.e. calls to premium numbers or when you’re abroad), this is initially set to £10.00 for all new customers from 29th November 2016.

You can set your buffer as low as £2.00 by calling Customer Services on 500 or 0800 0791133 from another phone.

Once you reach the Smart Cap limit, all chargeable services will be suspended until your next bill is produced, you’ll still be able to use your remaining inclusive minutes, text messages and data allowance.

- Rebeka Smiley

TheWeeBear
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Is it possible for a forum staff member to change my smart cap limit to £2.00, or whatever the minimum amount is, or do I have to actually call ?

Thanks for any advice.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi TheWeeBear,

If you can send me a private message, I'll be more than happy to look into this for you.

- Rebeka Smiley

Thonic

Nice how you say all 'chargeble services' will be suspended then prevent people accessing free 0800 numbers unless they increase their smart cap first.

You clearly know what you're doing as you advise people to call the 0800 customer services number from a different phone!

The legality of this policy may be questionable, given free access to 0800 is an Ofcom requirement. It's made worse as the people you're blocking access to 0800 numbers have a credit agreement with you! It would be a bit different maybe if this wasn't the case but I know at least some PAYG providers for example allow access to 0800 numbers regardless if there's any credit on the sim.
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Thonic Cool story Bro'

Shame you're talking total nonsense as that's not what she's saying. The free number is exactly that and is for people who don't have their Plusnet phone to hand or can't get a signal for whatever reason.

The smart cap level doesn't affect free numbers. Cracking first post by the way, well done.

Thonic

I am a Plusnet customer and 0800 numbers are blocked if I reach my smart cap. I am then required to increase the smart cap to be able to call 0800 numbers. This is certainly not ideal for many people, particularly those prone to accidentally using credit for example by accidentally leaving the mobile data on.

It may or may not break the Ofcom regulations but either way I honestly don't think this practice is in the spirit Ofcom intended when they made calls to 0800 numbers free on mobiles.

As for yourself, you sound like a nasty piece of work. The last thing customers should immediately receive are comments like yours when they raise an issue about the service on the official forums, especially if Plusnet want to retain customers.

The ability to call 0800 numbers is important to me, I would rather not cancel but it's frankly astonishing that they treat people like this who have credit agreements with them, especially when so many PAYG services out there allow access to 0800 numbers without any credit available.
Thonic

It's a little like using a payphone but being required to insert 30p of credit to make a free call, only it's worse as you are hiring the line as well.
Gail1984

Hi Rebeka,
I have bought a sim from plus net and I want to reduce the £10 cap to the minimum cap right away. I see you asked a chap on the Forum to PM you, and you could assist.

My reference is: 2384882

Thanks,
Gail
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gail,

Thanks for taking the time out to get in touch with us, it's much appreciated!

If you could send me a Private Message with your details, I can certainly take a look into your account for you. 

I would also advise to remove your reference from the initial post, due to Data Protection. 

- Rebeka