Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card Activation

sightworthy
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Sim Card Activation

I received my new sim today and phoned Plusnet on 08000791133 .

I was told that the sim could not be activated as according to their records it is still in the post.

And to call back tomorrow even though i gave them all my details.

19 REPLIES 19
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Sim Card Activation

Hi Sightworthy,

If you have received your SIM card from us, it doesn't need manually activating, it will automatically activate within 2 working days from dispatch date.

I understand you may have been told that according to our records, the SIM hasn't been dispatched or is still in the post. This might be the case but our system may have just not updated yet due to the high demand of sales we've had recently. Without specific information, I cannot confirm this however this seems to be what has happened. So if you have your SIM now, don't worry it will automatically activate and when it does you will receive your 'Welcome Email' to indicate this.

- Rebeka  

sightworthy
Dabbler

Hi Rebeka

The reason i was asking about activating the SIM card was  the instructions on this page 

How do i activate my replacement SIM Card ?

Your replacement SIM card will arrive unconnected.

When you've got it, call us on 0800 079 1133 from another phone and we'll get it up and running for you.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Oh I see, no this is for a replacement SIM card. If you ever need one sent out, if your's is damaged for example then this will only apply then. If you have opened up a brand new contract and it is your first SIM card for that account, then it doesn't need activating by us, it will automatically activate on its own within 2 working days from dispatch date. Smiley

- Rebeka 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If you have opened up a brand new contract and it is your first SIM card for that account, then it doesn't need activating by us, it will automatically activate on its own within 2 working days from dispatch date

So what happens when the SIM doesn't arrive/get's intercepted in the post ?

Surely it would have been better ( like say Giffgaff ) to require you to log in to your account ( I assume having ordered Mobile means you must have a Member centre account ) and enter the ID from the sim card which would then activate it...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sightworthy
Dabbler

I agree with you MisterW the automatic activation after 2 days seem to me to be a fundamental flaw in the security.

And even when i phone them to say i have the SIM in my phone giving them all my details i still have to wait for 2 days.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MisterW,

When signing up to a brand new contract, our SIM cards are designed to activate automatically so our customers have a smooth and seamless account activation. This means you only have to contact us if you are having any difficulties with the set-up. Once the account is live, we want our customers to be able to pop in the SIM card and away you go. 

First time resolution-hassle free!

- Rebeka 

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Sightworthy,

The SIM card doesn't automatically activate until 2 working days after dispatch date. This allows time for the SIM card to be received by the customer and if it isn't received by then, the customer is advised to contact us. 

When contacting us, the account is set-up with security questions and a password. These are created by yourself on the day of sign up, so if anyone attempts to contact us other than yourself, they will not pass the security procedures in place and the services will automatically be suspended to prevent any charges on the account. 

- Rebeka 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RebekaPreston,

When and how is the customer advised of this automatic activation and to contact you if the SIM doesn't arrive? @sightworthy doesn't seem to have been advised of this until he posted here

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This seems to me to be a most unsatisfactory system

If a SIM card is intercepted by a third party then they can use it to run up a large bill which you - Plusnet - would try to get the customer to pay

Any sensible company would have a system where the SIM card is only active once the customer contacts you to advise that they have received it and want it activating. Many suppliers allow you to do this via your account on the website (Virgin is one I am aware of)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Glad it's not just me then Jim!. I can see why you wouldn't want everyone to have to phone up to activate but online is simple. As you say Virgin do it, and I know that Giffgaff do it that way.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Have you noticed it's gone quiet round here Jim ?

From one of the other threads there appears to be an answer to the questions

Once your SIM goes live you'll receive a welcome email which will contain your username and a link for you to set a password for your Plusnet Mobile account

That would explain why you can't login to activate, you haven't got an account until it's activated.

Hopefully the email arrives promptly and explains to contact PN if your SIM hasn't arrivedRoll_eyes

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MisterW

Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of the office yesterday. When the account becomes live, you'll receive a 'Welcome Email' to indicate that everything is up and running and ready to go. Smiley

- Rebeka 

redrosie
Hooked

This system of activation really is the pits.  My sim arrived Saturday so probably dispatched Friday.  So by rights should be working yesterday (Sunday).  It was put in the phone straight away.   It is now Monday afternoon and still no activation.  I phoned this morning around 8am and was told it would be a couple of hours.  I phoned again at 11:20 and was told to just wait for the welcome email.  Still waiting.  

There must be a better system than this.  It's so frustrating.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and it seems that from this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Welcome-email-informing-me-that-my-new-SIM-is-now-active-but-no... the welcome email doesn't warn to contact PN if the SIM hasn't arrivedRoll_eyes