cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal practically non-existent since just after Christmas

flamesong
Grafter

Signal practically non-existent since just after Christmas

Because of my location, for the past seven years, I have only able to use the EE network; i.e. EE, Orange, T-Mobile and the companies who piggy-back. There is no alternative despite what the network maps say. Orange did not treat me well as a customer and I have since been with The People's Operator, Life and now Plusnet. But even so, the coverage has been dire - I either get one bar or no signal indoor and out. With TPO and Life, I didn't expect there would be any improvement but when Plusnet bought Life, I hoped that with them being a major company, they might have a bit of clout but was told that Plusnet have not influence on network coverage.

So, there was no improvement when Plusnet took over but since Christmas, the situation has deteriorated significantly and I haven't been able to make or receive a single call without being disconnected and about 75% of calls do not connect in the first place. There was some work done locally last week during which time there was no signal at all for about 24 hours but after the work was completed, there were absolutely no improvements whatsoever.

I'm really over a barrel as no other operator covers this area and according to the Ofcom coverage checker, EE is supposed to provide an excellent signal here. I can't even phone Plusnet to talk to anybody. I might as well not have a mobile phone except that I have had the same number for seven years and at least people can leave voicemail and text messages do come through eventually.

I don't suppose anybody at Plusnet is going to be any help - I anticipate a reply saying that the matter is out of their hands but Plusnet takes my money so where is my service?

6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Signal practically non-existent since just after Christmas

If you were on EE you could have Wi-Fi calling if your mobile could use that feature, or get a signal box if not. Unfortunately I don't believe either work with PN mobile, or other who piggy back off the main operators.

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

No point blaming PN or asking them for help because the signal strength and quality is down to EE. The coverage checkers are only a guide, they can't allow for local blackspots due to geography or shielding. The best one that I know is https://opensignal.com/ from actual signal reports but even then you might be in a local trough.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
flamesong
Grafter

Apparently, EE/Orange only provide signal boxes to existing customers when a mast is decommissioned and even if you get one off, say, eBay, they won't activate it.

As for not blaming Plusnet, I think you missed the point of my post which was that I am paying Plusnet but nobody is accountable. If I were to buy a Sony radio from Tesco and it doesn't work, who is responsible for sorting it out? The answer is Tesco. But it seems like in the case of mobile networks, the answer is nobody. According to Ofcom's information, I should have a fantastic signal but when I use their pp to test their theory, it says that the signal is very poor. On what are they basing their information? It's not like anybody built a factory in front of my house last year.

flamesong
Grafter

@quelquod wrote:

No point blaming PN or asking them for help because the signal strength and quality is down to EE. The coverage checkers are only a guide, they can't allow for local blackspots due to geography or shielding. The best one that I know is https://opensignal.com/ from actual signal reports but even then you might be in a local trough.

I downloaded the OpenSignal app and there was no information for the area where I live. It pointed at the nearest mast but kept losing the signal. Even if I stand in the corner nearest the mast, the signal comes and goes. I remember having all this hassle with O2 years ago when they reduced the mast output and literally cut me off so I never had any signal whatsoever two months into a 24 month contract. It took a year but they were forced by Otelo to compensate me and refund everything I had paid them. I'm pretty sure that EE have just done the same because this has been consistently worse for a three weeks.

I just spoke to 3 as I have an old Home Signal box of theirs and they said I should be able to get it activated.

It would be good if this works but a comparable tariff is almost twice as much as my former Life contract.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@flamesong wrote:

As for not blaming Plusnet, I think you missed the point of my post which was that I am paying Plusnet but nobody is accountable.

Who is accountable is easy, it's you.

You know you live in a very poor area reception wise, and yet you still think Plusnet can affect EE's mobile mast?

You'll just have to pay EE and get their WiFi calling (and double speed 4G when you're in a better area for coverage).

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi flamesong,

I'm sorry you're not receiving full service due to poor signal however, we do advise that our network coverage and 4G speeds may be affected by a number of factors, such as the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many other people are using the network. 

- Rebeka